Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive For Dell Inspiron 1150

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:22 AM

my hard drive crashed and i need a new one and maybe some instructions for installation any ideas? thanks

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:32 AM

My suggestion is to let this be done by a dell technician depening on how old your PC is. One of the rules of the Dell guarantee is that hyou don't go "meddling "yourself..

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

If it's an older Dell, the process is very easy. First you'll need your restore disks, another hard drive, and a utility to format the new hard drive.

But first, why do you think that the hard drive is bad?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

i've been told it is and it just keeps coming up with a weird blue screen i don't remember what exactly it says on it but i could check if needed

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

Your best bet would be to confirm this with a free test from the hard drive manufacturer.

Unplug the system from the wall, crack open the case, ground yourself by holding onto the metal of the chassis and find out who manufactured your hard drive. Then go to their website and look for their bootable diagnostic utilities. Usually they're available for floppy or CD - choose what you have on your system.

Then boot from it and let it run a test on your hard drive. If it says it's bad, then it's time to replace it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

Its a toshiba however i wasn't able to find anything about a hard drive test on their website

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:35 AM

Try this thread for alternatives: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21534607.html

#8 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:57 AM

i havn't been able to get any of those tests to work most of them seem to be for something other than a cd and i can't get them to burn properly or somthing any suggestions?

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:04 AM

Try Power Max here This thread indicates that this will also work for Toshiba

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

You'll have to use a program to burn the iso's to a CD. If you don't have a floppy drive you won't be able to use the one's for a floppy.

Burning an iso is different from copying. The iso contains information on where the programs are located on the disk - and places them there when it "burns". This is what makes the disk "bootable".

If you don't know how to do this, here's a simple, free, standalone (doesn't require installation) app that I use to burn all my iso's: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

When you open it, just look for the box that says "ISO CD/DVD" and click on it - then follow the prompts to create an bootable disk from the iso.

#11 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

i wasn't able to get the iso to work any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users