Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Install Troubles

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 skypilot007

skypilot007

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hi all. I just got a new computer and I'm have some problems installing XP pro. It came without an operating system. I formatted the drive and rebooted with the XP disk in there. I get the following STOP errors:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0x748DA208, 0xF78D9F08).

PCI.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

The system consists of:

Elitegorup motherboard P4M890T-M2
INTEL PENTIUM D 3.4GHz DUAL CORE
2GB DDR-2 533FSB (PC4200) Memory
250GB WD 250GB HD
GeForce 7300 256 MB video card

I never have this happen, I have used this XP disk on my other systems with no trouble ever. Is this a hardware problem? Let me know if any more information is needed. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

See this MS KB article, any help to you?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

Have you installed the motherboard/chipset drivers for your motherboard?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 skypilot007

skypilot007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

Have you installed the motherboard/chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Can that be done without the operating system installed? I cannot even get a C:\ prompt after I formatted the hard drive. The HD is a western digital and I tested it with all their diagnostics tools via the floopy drive and all was good. If I boot with the XP disk in the CD it will attempt to install windows then it stops at the blue screen and give the stop message from above.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

You may want to test the memory to confirm that it is not defective.

Try one of the following programs below to test your memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Since you just bought this computer, if your memory fails one of the tests, I would take the computer back and request that they swap the memory.
JC

#6 skypilot007

skypilot007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

I ran the memory test and it passed all tests. Only thing now when I try to reboot with the XP disk in the CD I get: "NTLDR is missing, press ctrl,alt,del to restart. Restarts and tells me the same thing. I've never had this kind of trouble with any system I've built myself. Figures I buy one ready to go minus an operating system and I have things like this happen. Any suggestions...I appreciate the help. I a bit lost on this one.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Most of the searches that I have done describes this problem when installing the original XP...without SP1 or 2... with newer computer hardware. I would try to slipstream Service Pack 2 with your copy of XP. Please see the following instructions provided here - http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp
JC

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'd start by checking the hardware - and also check it's compatibility with Windows (use the Catalog option in Windows Update).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 skypilot007

skypilot007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:42 PM

Most of the searches that I have done describes this problem when installing the original XP...without SP1 or 2... with newer computer hardware. I would try to slipstream Service Pack 2 with your copy of XP. Please see the following instructions provided here - http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

I was thinking along those line but had no clue that could be done. I've been trying the slipstream method described but I can't get the disk bootable for some reason. My version of nero is newer than that used in the examples. Mine only let you extract the image from a floopy so I extracted it to there. Still having problems making the CD bootable, even in another working computer. Still working on it.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Maybe this tutorial will help. - How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO
JC

#11 skypilot007

skypilot007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the slipstreaming information there Joshuacat. That did the trick. With a little more searching I found a freeware program called nLite which made things really easy. Got the bootable CD right on the first try after about 15 attempts trying it other ways. Thanks again for the help.

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

I am glad you got it working. nlite is a great product.

There is also a great How-to Guide for those that are also interested in taking the SlipStream process a little further:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/v...ce936b2b9e935f/

Take care.
JC

#13 Rikinva

Rikinva

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

I am having the same problem as SkyPilot007. But the circumstances are slightly different. I am upgrading to a new motherboard, faster processor, etc. The new board is an ECS P4M890T-M2 with Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1GB of memory. When I transferred my hard drive over to the new machine, it would not boot up, and gave me the same **STOP** message regarding the PCI.SYS file -- identical to your problem, SkyPilot007. But I am already running XP Pro with SP2 installed. When I move the drive back to my old PC, it boots just fine, but not on the new one. There are probably some new drivers I need for this motherboard and for the new video adapter -- maybe even a bios upgrade. That may be my problem -- don't know for sure. But how can I install a bios upgrade, or upgrade any drivers if I can't even boot up the operating system?! Help!!

Any ideas? Anybody...?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Can you boot into safe mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Rikinva

Rikinva

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

No... I am unable to boot into safe mode. When I try, the system starts loading all the "sys" files (drivers), and they scroll by on the scrren, but then when that screen disappears, instead of the Safe Mode screen appearing, the system reboots. It is an endless cycle. Happens in Safe Mode or Normal Mode -- either way. This morning, I am downloading the most recent bios for this motherboard. I am going to try flashing the bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users