Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Av - Compare

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nixie21

nixie21

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

Through work I can have either

Symantec CORPORATE AV 10 (not norton AV)
or
AVG pro 7.5

Which one of these would you choose and why?

Is there a free version that is better than these?

This would be in addition to...

Trojan hunter, comodo firewall, router firewall, firefox, winpatrol plus, spyware blaster

Also,

I do not run a AS, I used to run win defender, but I never get spyware....do I need to waste resources?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:48 AM

Well there are as much programs as there are opinions. Check this great post in how to remain protected. Never say never, if you check the HiJackthis threads you will see what spy-/malware can do so better be safe than sorry!

My setup is :

Firewall Zone Alarm FREE
Antivirus AVG Antivurus FREE
Antispyware AVG Antispyware and Spwayer blaster incl Spybot and Adaware
Cleaner Ccleaner

This has kept me protected.For links check my signature. Also check the freeware link in my sig where you can find free software

#3 nixie21

nixie21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, what about my choice in AV?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

I'd recommend that you choose the AVG. The Norton, at best will put bloat on your system and slow it down. Also, uninstallation of the Norton is a task to try your soul. Worst case, it may allow infections in (but I haven't checked this recently - it's the reason that I stopped using Norton several years ago).

If you want free - go with AVG Free. It works well for me (I've got AVG Pro, but just have never found the time to install it).

As for antispyware - The AVG product is pretty good, but you're also helping it out with SpywareBlaster. One other product that you may wish to try is the free MVPS Hosts file ( http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) It uses a different list than SpywareBlaster - and keeps it in a different place, so there's no danger of conflicts arising.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

I would, as usual, agree with Usasma's choice. Norton products are generally bloated, resource hogs, and not easy to delete if you want to change anti-virus applications.
The differences between AVG Pro and AVG Free (which I have used for quite a few years) are not fundamental to maintaining your computer's security. Both use the same engines and the same definitions, and both offer real-time protection.
Naturally, a anti-viirus needs to be supplemented by anti-spyware applications; these tend to have slightly different criteria for what they look for, so having several will extend the scope of their search. Again, there are several excellent free applications. I use and recommend the following:
Ad-AwareSE
AVG AS
Spybot Seach and Destroy.

Naturally, any of these are only as good as their definitions are current, so keeping them updated is as important as installing them on your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nixie21

nixie21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

Thanks!!

Just to make sure, this is not the bloated Norton AV's for home use, it is the Corporate edition. It is not as bad as the home versions, but does use a lot more resources than AVG pro....

You all still would do AVG Pro?

If so,

Anything I sould know about setup or settings?

Thanks so much....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users