Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

I am helping a couple that have 2 computers connected to Cox Cable. They are using the Surfboard cable modem and a Linksys B router. One computer works great, it's connected and has no problems. The other computer was not able to connect at all. There was no default gateway. I ran lots of troubleshooting task and nothing.
So we disabled the onboard NIC and put in a Linksys usb NIC and were connected again right away. After the computer is shut down, it loses that connection. Sometimes we are able to work with it and get the connection back, other times nothing. There is a default gateway and still no connection.

The 2 computers are able to talk to each other with no problems. The IP address begins with 192, so it is getting an IP. I just can't figure out what could be blocking his computer. I ran Ad-aware, it found a few things, but no help. I ran bitdefender, it only found a virus in an old Norton quarantine file. He had uninstalled Norton and is using AVG antivirus. No firewall is installed on his computer he is using the windows version, but ZoneAlarm is on hers. I have added his IP address into the Zonealarm firewall and even tried shutting it down on hers, just in case it was causing problems.

I have flushed the DNS, ran the Winsockxpfix, and repaired the connection. He has installed Netzero dial up that he was using for a while because he couldn't get the cable connection, but the dial up quit working too. It seems to be some type of software issue. Just wondering if anyone would have any other ideas for me to try. Thanks for any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

The first step is to get multiple anti-virus and anti-spyware scans. This can cause the problems that you are describing. Here's a good, free online scan: http://safety.live.com/

The next step is to disable all security apps and try the connection. This includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewalls. Make sure that any tweaking or security apps are disabled also. And any security functions in the router.

Then try the connection. If it doesn't work, then try setting it up manually. Use an IP address that's different from the other system in the last set of numbers only (192.168.0.xx). The Subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 The gateway will be the same as in the other system. The DNS servers will be the same as in the other system (there are free one's available with a google search).

Don't forget to put the security stuff back in place once you're done!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Thank you usasma, I am going there tomorrow. I will give them a try and let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone ever used the LSP-Fix program? I was wondering how well it works for correcting connection problems. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users