Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will still not shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild1162

wildchild1162

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 06:15 PM

:thumbsup: I posted a message a couple of days ago, my computer will still not shut itself off after trying to install one of those darn digital keychain cameras ( which is now back at the store it came from). Any ideas why this would cause my puter to have to be manually shut down at night??? I am running Windows98Se on a compaq. Thank you all and Happy New Year.
Wildchild

Tomorrow is a gift not a promise, so ride, live, love, laugh, and dance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

Try this please Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:31 AM

And some advice if you decide to obtain advice from HP/Compaq support @ their website: http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/psgna/caller/chat.asp The good news is that you will get prompt (and free) advice from a supposedly Compaq-familiar human and perhaps links to appropriate help topics. The bad news (in my recent experience doing a System Restore on a six year-old machine) is that they seem too willing to take you into the bowels of your operating system/BIOS to tinker around, but failing to mention that along the way you may be presented with screens asking you to make choices or take actions that you may not understand....at a time when you are not able to communicate with their site. You then are faced with the option of calling their 1-800 help line and if your unit is not under warranty, paying $40.00 (up-front via credit card) for the privelege of trying to explain your problem to someone who's English is less than understandable. I BS'd my way out of the $40 charge, but after 20 minutes of frustrating discussion, I determined that the fellow I was talking to knew less than I did about System Restore.

My bottom-line: Glean info from Compaq, Google the heck out of your problem, pester any techies you know, but finally put it on the boards here in front of people you can trust before jumping into something. Good luck. And oh, by the way, I wrote the word "Dell" on a little Post-it note and stuck it over the Compaq logo on my tower...and I think it's helping :thumbsup: .
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:01 AM

I know what to do to make it turn off........

Unplug the power cord.......

LOL Just a laugh for ya......

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

CGM3.. they want it automatic.. LOL make them something that will pull their plug when they hit shutdown, and BAM your in the money! course figuring out how to plug it back in is the real problem! :thumbsup:

WOW! a tip to make a Comcrap better?? WOW!!!
Sad part is it probably works too!

Sorry not much help on this one.. i was one of the lucky ones and never ran across this problem with 98 and still don't!

Edited by LoLucky, 29 December 2004 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users