Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Fan Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

for some time no i have been getting a cpu fan failure auto shut down randomly when i turn my computer off and then back on. sometimes it takes me more than on restart to get it working. i was not so concerned about it before because it was very infrequent. today i had a major problem and for somereason my cpu fan will not go about 900 rpm. i am really worried about it but im not sure what it could be. the fan may jhave just gone bad but it is only a few months old. is it possible that a virus is affecting it or something like that? i have hear dof that happening before. what should i do? please get back asap. as for now i am losly monitoring teperature and rpm. plase get back to me. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

It could be something with the bios, i would check to see if you have the smart fan controller on and maybe swithcing it to always on (if your motherboard supports that function)

It could also be a defective cpu fan or maybe a windows fan monitoring\controlling program interfering with the bios.

Maybe this is fixable with a bios flash for your motherboard? (Not my first choice cause it can be risky)

Edited by nforce, 16 December 2006 - 06:09 PM.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

Have you opened you case while your computer is running to see what's actually going on with it? Something could be clogging the fan. A few months ago my fan got noisy. The motors can go out. I watched my temp and it stayed okay until I could replace it. You can buy just a fan, but the guy at the shop said they are often second hand...salvaged from repair jobs. You'd probably be better off to buy a complete new unit with the heat sink and fan, if that's the problem.

Edited by mommabear, 16 December 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

Get a can of compressed air and blow the fan out. It may be binding due to dust that's gotten caught in it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:02 PM

Get a can of compressed air and blow the fan out. It may be binding due to dust that's gotten caught in it.

If you do blow out the fan be sure to protect the bearing by placing a pencil between the blades to keep them form spinning, this will also make easier to blow through them. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

See this Tutorial for Cleaning the Interior of your PC.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
JC

#7 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

i know that it is not blockage because i clean my comp on a regular basis. that fan is most likely defective and i have looked into getting a new one. as far as adjusting the BIOS settings maybe that willhelp but i am not sure what to do for that. if someone could tell me where to look id apreciate it. the motherboard does support fan control but i have it on automatic for safety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users