Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Log In Automatically To Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I have been a Bleeping Computer subscriber for a year. For the past two months I have not been able to log in automatically. I am welcomed as a guest but I am told that I can log in if I have a userword and a password. It is a nuisance.

I have these cookies -

name@bleepingcomputer.us.intellitext[1].txt

name@bleepingcomputer[1].txt

name@bleepingcomputer[2].txt

name@www.bleepingcomputer[1].txt

The 'remember me' box is ticked.

Do I need to tweak something?

Best wishes, whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Some system specs would help and what browsers are you using and the versions please?

Also at anytime did you stop the automatic log on for BC? If you did whether on purpose or by accident then you will need an administrators help to get it back fully.

#3 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

Dear ThorXP, Thank you for answering.

System -
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer –
AMD Athlon[tm]XP 2400+
2.00Ghz; 1.00 GB of Ram

Internet Explorer 7

Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

I have never stopped or interfered with the 'automatic log on' for bleeping computer and I cannot remember what I was doing prior to the problem manifesting itself. I believe that I have a squeaky clean computer. All security programmes are updated twice daily and I scan for problems twice or thrice a week.

whatapalaver

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Try deleting all your cookies and temporary internet files then come back and log in. You may just have corrupted or conflicting files somewhere.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

Internet Explorer7 might have either done something strange with your cookies or your password manager contents. Ronbo's advice might resolved the problem with the new version of IE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Yup..thats the best bet. Delete all the bleeping cookies (or all cookies to be safe but will require you to enter credentials at other sites as well) and try again. Make sure you are accepting cookies from bleepingcomputer.com

#7 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thank you. Deleting the temporary internet files and cookies has not resolved the problem. I can open a new topic and read the replies but I cannot add a reply because I am told that an error has occurred and I must log in with a username and password.

Could this be the cause?………..

When I registered with BC in January 2006 my username was ‘oldsoldier’, but after two or three months there was a problem with logging on so I re-registered with a new username – ‘whatapalaver’.

BC recognises ‘oldsoldier’ and ‘whatapalaver’.

My daily emails from BC are addressed to ‘oldsoldier’. I do not get any daily emails that are addressed to ‘whatapalaver’.

But, all replies to a new topic from me, [whatapalaver], are addressed to ‘whatapalaver’.

An hour ago I composed a reply and was ready to send it. Then I saw a spelling mistake and when I corrected the mistake everything vanished. In its place there was - ‘WEBPAGE HAS EXPIRED – MAY BE OUT OF DATE SO GO TO REFRESH TO FIX IT- or something like that. Could IE.7 be misbehaving.

Should the ‘oldsoldier’ should be shot?

And/or should I remove IE7 and reinstall it? I like IE.7 and prefer not to go back to IE.6.

Best wishes whatapalaver

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Old soldiers don't die - they just fade away! :thumbsup:

Try creating a new account or try using another browser to see if the behavior persists.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

If you create the new account, please PM one of the admins and let them know what user account you would like to keep.

Just a friendly reminder...

Members may have only one account on this forum. There is no need to have more than one.

Good luck whatapalaver. I hope everything is fixed soon!

rigel

Edited by rigel, 17 December 2006 - 08:49 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:54 AM

My apologies - I forgot that rule! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users