Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is slow on only some tasks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slotto99

slotto99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

I have a 900mhz machine running windowsXP home,256mb of memory and 20Gb hard drive that has about 10Gb of free space. Most applications such as Quicken, Hallmark card studio, etc. load in a second or two and speed is fine when using the program. However, when going from the start menu to My Computer or Control Panel it takes a full 60 seconds to bring up the screen. Also, it takes 60 seconds to launch Internet Explorer. I recently started using Firefox and it loads in just a few seconds---much faster. I ran defrag and this didn't help. Does anyone know what would cause the computer to be so slow in displaying My Computer and Control Panel, yet be fast on other things?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skaines

skaines

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:10 PM

run one of the programs and see how much RAM is being used, do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and selecting the performance tab and see what the PF usage is, if it is above 256 you are over your RAM amount and you are using Virtual Memory which is RAM but stored on your hard disk which is much slower.

if it is over 256 i would recomend getting more RAM, or quit some of the programs in the system tray, carefull though if you close antivirus you will have no virus protection. only close antivirus if you are sure that what you are using contains no virus's.

Edited by skaines, 28 December 2004 - 05:12 PM.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like you need to clean out your Temporary Internet Files. Look in Control Panel>Internet Options>General Tab. Click Delete Files then put a check mark in Delete all offline content. Click OK and OK.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 slotto99

slotto99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions----I checked the PF usage and it is only 160. The only things showing in the system tray are Webroot spyware and Norton antivirus. I cleaned out the temp internet files and this made no change.
Programs load fast and run fast but it takes 60 seconds to bring up My Computer, Control Panel or My Documents. One other thing is that once My Computer is open, I can click on the link to Control Panel from My Computer and Control Panel will come up in a second or two. If I try to access it from the start menu it takes 60 Seconds.
Any other ideas??

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

When was the last time you ran scandisk and then defragged?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 BlingingKool

BlingingKool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:16 PM

:thumbsup: [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]

It sounds like a Random Access Memory problem to me (RAM) is clashing with the 20GB Capicity Hard Drive, it is depending, if you are using DDR RAM, DDR Ram likes a lot of Hard Drive capacity to go with it, i can remmember while doing my computer a few weeks ago! i bought a 30GB Hard Drive to go with my new ASUS motherboard i inserted 256MB DDR RAM in to the DIMM slots on the motherboard, it went successful but it didnt go fast as i thought it would, it did go a little faster when i Formated the Hard Drive to FAT32, FAT32 is for small amounts of Hard Drive Space below 50-60GB, but still not as fast, i have now upgraded my PC with 512MB of DDR RAM, & a 120GB Hard Drive (MASTER) & my Old 30GB as (SLAVE) works great now, i recommend upgrading your Hard Drive if you are using DDR RAM, if not i suggest upgrading the Proccessor to PP4, that should fix the problem! or atleast! 2.5Ghz or Higher!
Good Luck! :flowers:

#7 BlingingKool

BlingingKool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

[FONT=Arial]

Or!

Try this before my other Tip! This will determine the Use of your RAM!
Click Start --> Run --> ENTER IN --> msconfig--> ENTER, The Microsoft Configuration will come up! Disable all START UP CONTENT & RESTART THE COMPUTER, IF YOUR COMPUTER IS RUNNING 10X FASTER, YOUR HARD DRIVE & RAM IS CLASHING! I SUGGEST UPGRADING THE RAM TO DDR, MAKE SURE YOUR MOTHERBOARD AS A DIMM BUS TYPE THAT WILL SUPPORT RAM! AND UPGRADE YOUR HARD DRIVE TO 60GB OR MORE FOR SPEED! or for even better performance get a New Proccessor to really give your computer that Boost it needed, get a Pentium Proccessor 4 or a Proccessor with atleast a Upstream of 2.5GHz or More!
GOODLUCK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users