Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sd Card Woes....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saria.exe

Saria.exe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hi guys. This is my first post on this forum. I'm having a little computer-related trouble.

I got myself one of those Nintendo Wiis, and wanted to transfer over some photos and music to it via SD card. I found an old 128mb card that came free with my digital camera and tried it in my Wii, and success, it worked! I then proceeded to plug it into my laptop's SD slot.... and nothing happened. The computer didn't even acknowledge it. This is wierd, because I do have another SD card (broken, the switch on the side broke off and it is stuck on protected,) which when inserted is recognised by my laptop, so what gives?

I thought this could be because the card I'm trying to use is actually a miniSD card with an adaptor, but this shouldn't be a problem, surely! Both my Wii and digital camera accept it, after all...

Here are some pictures of the card and my laptop's SD slot, which has a red outline drawn around it cause' its too dark...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not too good with computers, but even I could figure out that it might be an old driver to blame, so I delved into ye olde control panel, and this is what I found...

Posted Image
Posted Image
So, does this mean it isn't the driver? Gah!!

What else could be wrong? Surely one of you computer experts can help me out!

-Bekkii

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

Dumb question....have you restarted your laptop? I've only had this happen a few times, and a restart has solved it.

Other than that, you can back up whatever you need on the card (perhaps to your wii, or another computer that will recognize it) or just delete the info on the card if you don't need it, then reformat it using your camera. After it's formatted, I'd stick it back in the computer and see if it picks it up. Give it a few minutes and see.

The only other thing that I can think of is perhaps the firmware on your reader for your laptop doesn't recognize the older card....I'm not sure if updating the firmware on the reader itself would even help.

Do you have a cord that allows you to connect your camera directly to your computer (like a usb cord)? You can try that, because the camera itself will "run interference" and act as the reader for the comptuer.

If none of this works, then I'm stumped! :thumbsup: Please let us know if it works or not....if not, then maybe the other members will have a better idea of what to do!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Saria.exe

Saria.exe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:06 PM

Dumb question....have you restarted your laptop? I've only had this happen a few times, and a restart has solved it.

Other than that, you can back up whatever you need on the card (perhaps to your wii, or another computer that will recognize it) or just delete the info on the card if you don't need it, then reformat it using your camera. After it's formatted, I'd stick it back in the computer and see if it picks it up. Give it a few minutes and see.

The only other thing that I can think of is perhaps the firmware on your reader for your laptop doesn't recognize the older card....I'm not sure if updating the firmware on the reader itself would even help.

Do you have a cord that allows you to connect your camera directly to your computer (like a usb cord)? You can try that, because the camera itself will "run interference" and act as the reader for the comptuer.

If none of this works, then I'm stumped! :thumbsup: Please let us know if it works or not....if not, then maybe the other members will have a better idea of what to do!

Yes, I can use the digital camera as a reader, the only problem with that is it will use two new AA batteries in 5 mins, not an exaggeration. And its not the data on the card thats important, I'd just like to be able to use it to ferry data from one place to another...

As for formatting the card, I have done so with my camera before and it didn't make a difference...

You're probably right; the card is too old for the PC to recognise... maybe it can't be helped... I should stop being so cheap and buy a new one... :flowers:
Thank you for trying.

-Bekkii

Edited by Saria.exe, 16 December 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

It's probably just a broken card reader or something. Get a USB one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=
usually i would give a link to a certain product.. but i know nothing about card readers.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 16 December 2006 - 01:46 PM.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

It's probably just a broken card reader or something. Get a USB one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=
usually i would give a link to a certain product.. but i know nothing about card readers.

This could go either way. Since the card reader on the laptop works fine with other cards, just not this one, and the card itself works in the camera fine......a USB reader might work with this card....or it might be a waste of money.

The cards are fairly cheap nowadays, so a new one would help.....it'll also transfer data faster too!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users