Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Things Look Different In My Browser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peachechampagne

peachechampagne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

ok, on my dad's laptop, the view of a page looks completely different than on my desktop. we both have the same browser so what else makes the difference? not to mention that pics look way darker on my computer than on his...how do i fix that?

and last but not least...the internet refuses to connect on my computer and on the laptop (obviously) it works fine. we are using the same wireless network connection so why would it work on one and not the other..its been working fine!

i know i uploaded the newest version of yahoo messenger and it automatically changed my browser's HOME to yahoo.com. could this have been what messed my computer up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

Reset your browser settings and see what happens

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

1)The difference in the tone of pictures between your browsers may be caused by different brightness settings, and the comparison to a laptop and to a monitor may not be appropriate.

2)You can experiment. Uninstall the YahooMessenger and see if that restores your connectivity.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 peachechampagne

peachechampagne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

i did take yahoo messenger off...i still cant connect to the internet. it says something about my firewall preventing certain applications from connecting to the internet. but my desktop and the laptop are connected to the same firewall. i still dont understand why one will connect and the other wont

#5 peachechampagne

peachechampagne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

well i did fix the internet problem..not sure what was the problem but i do think it had something to do with yahoo messenger.

on the flip side, my computer runs really slow on startup and slower than the average computer when i'm opening up certain websites. i have already cleaned up temp files and defragged...and i still have 57% of space left. what else can i do to speed it up?

i have a cable modem, btw.

thanx

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

The most common causes of slow computers is:
1). Malware. Update your AV and any anti-spyware applications you have, then have them, starting with your AV, scan your hard drive in Safe Mode, disconnected from the internet.
2) Unneeded items in your startup sequence. Many applications want themselves to partially run on startup, running in the background until you need them. This makes them launch fast when you need them, but the other side of the coin is a slower boot and reduced system resources.
If you have Spybot, it includes a startup tool that will allow you to review and "kill" any unneeded startups (some examples are MS Office, media players , IMs, browsers). You can research each of these in the BC STARTUP LIST (tabbed at the top of BC's pages), which indicates which item is needed by Windows, is optional, or is something that should not be included.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 December 2006 - 09:54 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users