Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused Noob Here, Asking Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stephen1972

stephen1972

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

Hi I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RB30. I'm going to order a better hard drive to replace the factory one, I've never replaced a hd before. I think the instructions are supposed to be included with the new hd and I should probably be able to get through that ok I think. But I'm worried about everything working after that =\

With Windows XP, I don't have an install disc for it, it's preinstalled on my computer. I can order the recovery discs for my pc from Sony but no idea if they'll even work when I replace the hd.

Would the factory restore discs work do you think? Should I do something else to prepare for changing the hd? I'm confused and not sure what to expect, I'm not sure what questions to ask. Sorry in advance if this is annoying. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

From the support website for your computer, download the VAIO User Guide, Upgrading and Maintaining your VAIO Computer. Read through the About Hard Drive Installation section. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...amp;region_id=1

A couple of quotes from the User Guide:

Replacing the original hard disk drive
If you replace the original, factory-installed hard disk drive, you may need to correct your drive mapping, create a VAIO Recovery Media Kit, or visit the Sony online support Web site for more information.

and

Hard disk drive recovery

When you replace the original hard disk drive, the preinstalled VAIO Recovery Wizard utility program cannot restore the drive partitions, operating system, or original software programs. Before replacing the hard disk drive, create a VAIO Recovery Media Kit or purchase a kit from Sony.

Your VAIO® computer is not supplied with System or Application Recovery CDs. Use the VAIO Recovery Wizard utility to recover your computer's operating system and preinstalled software programs.

For more information about the VAIO Recovery Wizard utility program:

Click Start from the Windows® taskbar, and then click Help and Support.
From the VAIO Help and Support Center, click VAIO Recovery Options.

Hope that helps,
JC

#3 stephen1972

stephen1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

hi and thanks a lot, I'll go read on the things you pointed out right now. Ty ty ty have a good day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users