Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

I've tried the Comodo firewall in Vista. The release version just doesn't work, but the latest beta version works with a few "glitches".

The 3 that I've noticed are:
1) It doesn't turn the Windows Firewall off - so you've gotta do it yourself.
2) AVG Free Email scanner will stop working - workarounds are posted on both the AVG and Comodo forums (just search for username of "usasma" if you're interested).
3) Network monitor says it's not working, but it will accept new rules that you make from the popup warning dialogs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image Sorry John Posted Image

what is your opinion on Vista since I value this very much

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• Topic Starter

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

I've tested Vista since build 5342 and finally achieved (relative) happiness with the RTM build. It works well and it doesn't crash. It's my primary OS now, and I run XP in a beta of the MS VM without any issues.

That being said, the UAC (User Access Control) is going to be the largest PITA for those wishing to use apps that haven't been written for Vista. Once applications start being written for Vista it'll be awesome! But until then installation and running of pre-Vista apps will continue to be problematic.

Installing a Vista written app produces only one UAC prompt (the original install) - then you're free from the "nags". Installing a pre-Vista app gives many "nags" (even when using the compatibility mode) - and the nags continue when the program tries to run or autostart. In some cases, programs within the program will sprout a nag on top of the program. (this is the case with the Netcraft toolbar - it sprouts a nag for the updater whenever it or IE is started.)

The menu's and directory structure are different - but once you get used to them all works well. I'm looking into the Application Compatability Toolkit now - trying to figure out how to write a "Vista wrapper" for XP apps. MTF if I succeed!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:53 PM

I just had to add this in about the New Firewall in Vista.

Do not be deceived by the Firewall in Windows Vista.

It is a fully configurable firewall with plenty of power. And highly configurable once you enter it's Enhanced Interface.

Note: The firewall in Vista is set by default, half disabled.
You should learn about Vista's firewall, and set it up to fill your own needs.

Here is a link that should help you learn and configure Vista's Firewall to receive the best protection for your system.

Vista's Firewall

Safe Surfing
JSKY

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

Thanks JSKY :huh: