Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Center Edition 2005

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GriggsD

GriggsD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

I recently built a new computer, with some help, and purchased Windows Media Center 2005 (OEM from newegg) to put onto it.

To the problem. During the install, after Disc 2, it asks for Service Pack 2 CD. I put in Disc 1 again, like I found I was to do online. It works...for a moment. After that moment, a window pops up stating it can't find IExplore.exe and a ton of other exe's/dll's/whatnot. None of the 3 CD's seem to hold these. I can continue the install without these, but what comes up is a severely gimped windows with hardly a single feature(aside from working.)

http://www.retrosight.com/mediacenter/setu...nstructions.pdf Is where I was getting my installation instructions and, for me, the install brings up the problem at step 3.9. Any help is appreciated, as this problem is pretty frustrating.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

Is there a way to go and update the software after you get it installed to that point? I would try that and see if it helps.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Are you sure that Disk 1 contains a copy of the SP2 files (it should since it's 2005)? If not, download SP2 and try that - or you may have to slipstream the SP2 files into Disk 1.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 GriggsD

GriggsD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

Problem is that some of the ...missing...features in the ability to connect to networks...or even add them. The Network Connections folder in empty and no matter how many times I try to manually add one, it doesn't show up. So, no internet to try and update through. And I'm sure Disc 1 has the files, since that installation manual and other things I've read all said to user Disc 1 when it asks for service pack 2 cd.

Edited by GriggsD, 16 December 2006 - 09:57 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16832116049

Read the reviews :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

I have read the article that was posted in the link in the first post and from what I read this is not for the fairly experienced. I have been doing computers for 27 plus years and would not think of trying this with out going thru this manual really good at least three times. This computer you have built to use the Windows Media Center 2005 (OEM on could you post all of the parts you have purchased for this computer like the motherboard, video card etc.?

Where you trying to upgrade from an earleir OS on the hard drive? If so you have to format the hard drive there are no upgrades to this from other OS's.

#7 GriggsD

GriggsD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

I have read the article that was posted in the link in the first post and from what I read this is not for the fairly experienced. I have been doing computers for 27 plus years and would not think of trying this with out going thru this manual really good at least three times. This computer you have built to use the Windows Media Center 2005 (OEM on could you post all of the parts you have purchased for this computer like the motherboard, video card etc.?

Where you trying to upgrade from an earleir OS on the hard drive? If so you have to format the hard drive there are no upgrades to this from other OS's.

The computer is made of:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 250gb hard drive (OEM and completely empty)
SeaSonic Energy Plus 550W power supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
Corsair 2gb(2x 1gb) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
eVGA 7600GT KO graphics card
Some brand of DVD burner I bought about a year back and can't recall the name of(not even mentioned ont the device. Pretty sure it was OnLite.)
All inside a CoolMaster case.

The thing runs more or less perfectly (aside from the DRAM failure warning I get[damn beeping!] even though I put the voltages to the correct level, but then they stop and it still runs, apparantly, flawlessly.)

I've formatted, partitioned, deleted partitions, etc. at least 5 times now. The install shouldn't be this complicated, since there are only very few mentionings of this problem anywhere(and those never seemed to get help.) If at all possible, I would really rather not have to purchase a different OS, college budget and all.

Edit: I'm in the motions of seeing what needs to be done to get a replacement item/replacing it.

Edited by GriggsD, 16 December 2006 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users