Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hinde Site (?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jello1973

jello1973

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

I had "virusbursters", followed the advice of the forum and removed it. But still was running VERY slow! Got advice from IT at work to reinstall Windows XP. At first upon installing I recieved the message that "My current version of Windows is newer than the version I'm trying to install", btw I purchased my laptop mos. ago from work "Compaq nx9010" from which IT just today supplied me with the Windows software, but got around the issue by running Windows disk from startup. After a couple prompts it did install

I understood that after a reinstall everything would start from "zero". But this SUCKS!! Can't find the settings (even though I looked in its settings) to change my touchpad so that it can actually "click" anything, Can't re-download I.E 7, "not a current version of XP"! which I had BEFORE the reinstall! Would I actually have to PAY for the version that WAS on my laptop before reinstall in order to get what I already HAD??

AND I seem to have about as many processes running after the reinstall as I did before! I don't know, things were set up EXACTLY the way I like them before and after 10HRS!!! of working on this thing I'm going nuts. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:39 AM

Go back to the drawing board.....

1. Repartition
2. Reformat
b. Reinstall

That should fix the problem. Post back the results after you've done such.

[EDIT = Added Info]
Please understand that it may come a time where you can do cleanups, virus scan removals or such, and everything else to get your computer back to normal, but the one thing that MAY be lacking, and that is just a clean install.

You may ask, "Well what's the point of doing all of that other stuff?". My answer will be "Just so you lessen the chances that you don't transfer it over to your new os."

A clean install is every step above,....... 1, 2 & 3, and none less.

Edited by Walkman, 16 December 2006 - 12:50 AM.

#3 jello1973

jello1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

*sigh* maybe there's a reason most of my friends have MAC!

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

*sigh* maybe there's a reason most of my friends have MAC!

I will end while you're ahead... :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you on that.

#5 jello1973

jello1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:22 AM

Well the truth is, I did do clean up"s, virus scan's, removal's the whole nine yards and NONE of them got rid of "virusbursters" until I came here after PLENTY of research. I did everything before and after the reinstall and here I am. But as I did mention, I'm a rookie at this so it's quite possible I missed something. I can take it to a couple people I know or a professional for resolution, just thought I'd give t a try myself since it really is pretty interesting stuff.

Nonetheless, everyone does outline and explain everything very thuroughly.. Very helpful!

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:52 AM

My next guess is between the browser you're using and the sites you're going to is causing this.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

I've got a friend who got rid of "Spy Falcon" a while back. This guy's an Engineer and is computer literate. Yet he brought the system in to me at work because of problems - and what did I find? You've got it - Spy Falcon again!

Either he "re-caught" it, or he didn't get rid of all the traces. He's got other issues also - but the point is that you never will be 100% certain that it's gone. All you can do is stay alert for recurring symptoms and avoid the sites that may have caused it in the first place.

Try the MVPS Hosts files along with Javacool's SpywareBlaster to help protect your system (along with a good antivirus, a good anti-spyware, and a good software firewall)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users