Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of Avs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

how would i delete active virus shield from my comp? i go to add remove programs and i try to delete it, but then it says that i need to turn it off (i dint know how to do this so i am just guessing that i right click the icon on the bottom of the screen and click exit, but i still cant delete it. :flowers:
any ideas...
thank you for your time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:45 AM

First thing I'd try is reboot and try it again.
If not, reboot into safemode (F8 right before the Windows splash screen) and try to uninstall it there.
Posted Image

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:38 AM

About a third of the way down on the page in the link below is a link to "Kaspersky special uninstaller."
http://www.free-antivirus.info/antivirus/a...-antivirus.html

Kaspersky is the program used in the AOL Active Virus Shield. Did you also install the "AOL Security Tool Bar"?

Edited by buddy215, 16 December 2006 - 04:39 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:14 PM

no...i didnt instal the tool bar

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

Good, one less thing to get rid of.
Please let us know of any problems or if you were successful in removing the program.

Here is the link to the Kaspersky uninstaller in case you couldn't find it:
http://downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/utils...sKav6Remove.zip
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

ok i got rid of it. it was just becoming a pain in the arse. it would say i need to update, but then say "error cant update" and i would have a yellow flashing box that would not go away. :thumbsup:

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:33 AM

From reading info on the AOL active virus shield, the EULA that you agreed to to accept the product allowed AOL to install adware. If AOL is not your ISP you may want to do a search and remove AOL related files. Since AOL has started offering their software products for free it has become an advertising medium big time.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:42 AM

@ sharpie Please mind your language. This is a family friendly forum and minors are cruising here. Thank you. Would appreciate if you could edit your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users