Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hi, I usually am in the hardware/networking forums and i've never really paid attention to and don't know all that much about virus security tools. Right now I just have windows defender but I've heard that can make your system run a little slower and maybe isn't the absolute best choice for what i do.

I just want to know what my best choice would be for a free, all-in-one (internet protection, virus protection, popup blocker, etc) program would be.

Most of all though, it has to be discreet and not take up much system recources... I need the best performace i can and good comp startup time.... Also maybe just a small icon in the system tray because I hate how programs like Nortons Antivirus takes over your computer, adds more bars on system tray, does all the startup scanning, etc.

Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:24 AM

I prefer the following :

- Zone Alarm Free as a firewall
- AVG AntiSpyware Free in combination with Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D and Adware
- AVG Antivirus Free as ANTIVIRUS

I use CCleaner as cleaning up.

Obviously there are as many programs as opinions. Check this for for some more guidance. For links and downloads check either my sig on freeware or the direct download links

Edited by fozzie, 16 December 2006 - 05:25 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:53 AM

I have all of the programs mentioned by "Fozzie". I also use Firefox browser with an extension called "NoScript".
Firefox comes with the best popup blocker on the market, doesn't allow activeX, and with NoScript I don't worry about "driveby installs" of malware.
The most important thing as far as keeping your computer free of malware is using safe surfing habits and not opening spam mail or suspicious mail, or installing freebies like screen savers.
Almost forgot to mention McAfee's SiteAdvisor. Darn good program that helps to keep you out of trouble when searching Google.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:52 AM

How could I forget FFPosted Image..

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

What is considered the best AV protection is often a matter of personal opinion. AVG is very good but there are others to choose from as well.

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

All-in-one applications do not generally take less, but actually more resources, than having separate applications.
All-in-one applications can be uneven in their strengths in various areas, while separate applications, because built and maintained with more focus in one particular area, are generally of better quality.
All-in-one applications generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring defaults and usage.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Well, I'm not too worried about having the BEST protection, I just want something basic to protect me. Its not like I go searching google for 'viruses to test' or doing too much online at all. Thanks for the repiles. I think im just going to get AVG.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Be sure to read the AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

Ok, I was looking on the AVS website ant they have lotsa tools. Like the Internet security package, anti-malware, anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. I only want to download and install what I really need, so which one\s should i get?

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-produ...ng/us/tpl/tpl01

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

I would get the following:
AVGFree
AVG Anti-spyware
I use both and am very happy with their performance. If you use Firefox, a good firewall, and perhaps one other anti-spyware application (Ad-AwareSe, for example), you will be adequately protected if you use caution about where you visit and what you download.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users