Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking Of Buying A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghostwriter

ghostwriter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi All,

I'm getting a a new monitor (flat screen) for my partner for xmas, but was thinking if I should just go the full hog and get the hard drive as well.

The thing is I don't know what to look for, without coming across as a moron. I don't even know if it is important to get the whole kit and caboodle?

Any suggestions????? :thumbsup:
What you do in life does matter……Each choice and action you make has
consequences, good or bad. Which path will you take?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:47 AM

Do you want to buy a monitor and a harddisk or a monitor and a computer?
Since you mentioned the "full hogg "

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:12 AM

Hi All,

I'm getting a a new monitor (flat screen) for my partner for xmas, but was thinking if I should just go the full hog and get the hard drive as well.

The thing is I don't know what to look for, without coming across as a moron. I don't even know if it is important to get the whole kit and caboodle?

Any suggestions????? :thumbsup:

Well, what would you (both) be using the computer for? If it's just day to day activities like browsing the web, typing word documents and keeping track of things on a scheduler, then really any computer will do, like a cheap one from Dell, HP or even Walmart (with Walmart probably being the best "bang for the buck"). If you want to play games on it (not spades or solitare, but new release games that are demanding on computers), then you'll need to step it up some and get a decent machine that will play the games you want to play.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

With Vista coming out in the next few months, I would certainly wait---if you are thinking about getting a new computer and not just a new monitor or upgrading the hardware of what you now have---for perhaps six months or so. That way you will be assured that you have a computer that works with Vista, and any significant bugs with it are documented with work-arounds until the first Service Pack is published.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users