Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Figure This Error Out.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Hello,
Today I got an error message after closing Firefox. Before opening it I opened Opera. At the time opera was the default internet browser. I went to yahoo.com to see if I had any new mail. I didn't so I closed Opera. The I opened Firefox. I went to "Check For Updates" but there weren't any. So I closed firefox and restored my iTunes window. (It was minimized during all of this) I started to scroll through my iYunes library and Firefox finally closed. Right after Firefox closed my computer froze. (My computer has NEVER froze before.)
Then I got the following "Blue Screen of Death":

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
***STOP: 0X0000007A (0XE151032C, 0X000000E,0XBF8BB495, 0X05BC5860)

***Win32k.sys - address BFBB495 base at BF80000000,DateStamp 3b7de698

Beginning dump of physical memory.

It said if I installed any new hardware/softwae (which I didn't) to make sure I installed it right. It also told me to check the manufacturer to see if any new installaltions are compatible. I restarted my computer and booted XP Professional. But now when I boot, my digital (red-light on bottom) mouse isn't recognized. What? So I turned of my computer and plugged in an optical mouse. (The one with the ball) When I boot with this mouse it is recognized. I can move the mouse and the cursor on screen will move, BUT when I click on my user name (I'm an Admin; I don't see how it would matter though) it "prompts for my password". This "prompt" is just like it usually is but if I type anything my computer freezes and won't except any input.

Thanks ahead of time,

~The Captain~
Sorry for any bad grammar or stupid questions; I'm only 13 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

You need to run a couple virus scans.

Until you do so, don't input your password if asked. You may be sending that info away somewhere.

#3 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:02 PM

No viruses!

~The Captain~

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:21 AM

Here is a KB Article from M$ explaining the Common Causes of STOP Messages 0x0000007A and 0x00000077.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thanks but nothing tells me how to fix it.

~The Captain~

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7a

A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

* Windows NT 4.0 Setup Troubleshooting Guide {KB 126690} NT 4 (Recommendations for the current error message are buried down inside this article, which isn’t necessarily limited to NT 4.)
* Connecting a Hard Disk Drive in Slave Only Mode Leads to System Halt During Resume From Standby {KB 330100} Win XP SP1 (Windows installed on a slave drive.)

Edited by usasma, 16 December 2006 - 10:52 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thank you, but I don't see why there is a hardware conflict; I've used the same hardware for 3 years.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

If there have been no hardware changes in your system, then it's likely to be either a virus or a corrupted driver/file that's causing this.

Have you done any double-checking of your virus/spyware scans? If not, try this free scan: http://safety.live.com/

After that it's a matter of working through the issues step by step until we find a resolution.

Here's what I posted in another thread (to start with):

1) Use this free tester to test your RAM: http://www.memtest86.com/
Follow the directions carefully, and let the test run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). But, if you start getting errors you can terminate the test because you'll know the memory is bad. If you've got more than one stick of memory, you can run the tests on the individual sticks to see if more than one stick is bad.

2) Use this technique to "reset" your pagefile:
a) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.
cool.gif In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).
-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.
c) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)
d) Then go back in following the directions in step a) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step cool.gif. Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.
e) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

3) If both of the above tests don't isolate the problem - then the issue is most likely with your drivers. Which ones? Well, that's a good question. Have you done anything recently to the drivers (such as adding programs that might change any of the drivers)? If not, then here's a sequence to update them in:

a) motherboard/chipset drivers
cool.gif video drivers
c) network drivers
d) drivers for any other devices built into the motherboard
e) drivers for any other devices that are inside the case, plugged into the motherboard
f) drivers for any other devices that plug into the outside of the case.

Ensure that you download the latest one's from the manufacturer's website and don't use those on the CD as they're probably outdated.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

The problem is that I can't log in to run anything. When I click my user name I get the Windows STOP message. Do you think I should re-install? (Boot Disk)

~The Captain~

#10 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

Dear Captain,

There are no stupid questions; only stupid answers. Being thirteen is great for you - you are surrounding yourself with experienced people who love to help. And if you scan the board, I'll bet you can help someone else! :thumbsup:

On the virus scans, the ones I have loaded on my machines often say"no problem" but then a scan from an online freebie finds a ton of stuff. I get the feeling that my Norton and Webroot get corrupted by malware or something...

One more thing, if you reload your O/S, you might well lose your e-mail from Outlook Express. There are instructions on how to save the messages, but I've not had any luck reloading them.

PS here is a grammar/spelling lesson:
" I will accept your apology"
" I like all vegetables except lima beans"

xo
Joy (you can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the teacher out of this mother)
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

About saving those messages in Outlook Express. There are software applications that will do that, and a lot more. But if you just want to save your messages, you can.

First off, go into Folder Options, the View Tab and tick on Show hidden folders and files. Now go into Windows Explorer and find you Identities Folder. The path is this:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Identities

If you have more than one OE Identity, you'll see a folder for each with numbers like {1EF28306-65FB-4B9F-AEAE-B1C6C66E6AB2}

Save the Identities folder on a CD.

Now after you've installed Windows again, go into OE and create a new identity or identities. Open the inbox once to "set" it. Then go to the top of the toolbar and click File. Then click Import-Messages. You want to choose import from another "store" identity. Then browse to your corresponding Identity folder that you saved and select it.

You should then see a list of all your OE folders, Inbox, Sent, etc, plus any personal folders you've made. Click the ones you want to import and do it.

Or...you can just copy and paste your message folders into your new identity and tell the prompt to replace them.

Edit: I just realized that the Captain may not have any of these options since he said he can't get into Windows. It's late. Maybe I should just go to bed. :thumbsup:

Edited by mommabear, 17 December 2006 - 01:03 AM.

#12 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:29 AM

:thumbsup: Mommabear, thank you for the instructions! My PC is hosed right now too, and I'll probably have to reload. This makes it a bit less irritating to have to do it AGAIN!!

Captain, do you by any chance have a "Partition Commander" disk? XP never did make a boot disk although there are instructions somewhere. But when my PC won't start, I put Partition Commander in there, and turn on the machine. I have to somehow get out of PtnCmdr and eventually I get back to windows. Good luck.

One more thing; do you have your PC set up on a LAN? Can you bypass it, or, try one of the other identities just to get in?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:58 AM

I would try a repair install of XP. It will leave your programs and data intact. Here's a set of instructions on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#14 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hey, thank you everybody! I was readin' the posts and an idea popped into my head; I was going to try to repair XP. It worked and right after I fixed it I came to post what I did. Before I posted usasma posted the fix. :flowers:

~The Captain~

PS Thanks joygreen for being supportive. :thumbsup:

#15 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:44 AM

You are most welcomed, Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users