Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Reinstall Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 localgod11

localgod11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

First let me say I am A+ certified and still cant figure this out, so flame the newb if you must but this is driving me crazy

OK so I decided to reinstall XP home on my notebook because it is so infected that I dont have the time to fix it, I boot off the CD and get to the point where the install program requires me to hit enter to reinstall the OS and at that point the computer turns off. I have tried this 3x and still the same thing happens. The power supply is good and constant as XP will run normally for hours even under high load. Anyone have any ideas?? This is really starting to drive me insane :thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers: :inlove:

Edited by localgod11, 15 December 2006 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Have you tried repartitioning and reformatting 1st?. If not, try that, and see how it goes.

Also, your cd could be scratched and (or) bad.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

First thing I'd try would be a RAM test. I'm preferential to memtest86+
Posted Image

#4 localgod11

localgod11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

OKay so I ran Memtest and now the computer shuts of during the test. so my memory is bad, uhhhh what was I talking about??? OKay so NOW WHAT!!! I am going to pull one of my ram sticks and see if that chamges anything unfortunatly the other one is hardwired into my notebook (thank you dell!!!) any new ideas??

#5 localgod11

localgod11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

OKay so I reran it with only 1 stick in (the hardwired one) and now I get to test 6 about half way through and it shuts down again. HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP

#6 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:30 AM

I'm beginning to think you need to call Dell. Is it still under warranty? If so call them.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:35 AM

Your hard drive could be shot.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

Format the hard drive as originally suggested. You may have to pull it out and slave it to another system in order to get it done (make sure the other system has a good protection package in place).

I'd even go as far as doing a low-level format first - this will ensure that any nasties are erased from the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users