Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

I have a 18 month Compaq PC. Tonight the keyboard would not work. I checked the connection and it was fine. I swapped a keybaord from an HP computer and that would not work either.

Any idea what the problem is ?

thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

Have you checked the suspected keyboard with the other computer? If not, try it.

Also, there could be an issue with your R.A.M. You should check that out. I'm not sure of the exact sites, but they are out there. There is a site where you can download software to check your RAM.

Have you checked your Device Manager to see if it displays any problems?

It could be the connection port itself that's bad. I had a client that had problems with the monitor. No monitor at all would come on, and after opening up the computer case and looking at the motherboard, I saw that the solder connection was disconnected from the motherboard. So, you may need to open up your case and see if it is loose anywhere.

Also, when you boot up, do you get any error beeps? If the keyboard is faulty, it normally would alarm the BIOS. If it doesn't do it, then you may have a bad connection somewhere.

While the computer is on, open NotePad, and try to type, and wiggle the wires at the same time. Also, go to where it connects to the port itself, and try slight turning/moving from there.

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:07 AM

Thanks

Your comment on the device manager jogged my memory. The keyboard ! the device manager. I delted the keyboard hardware and re-botted . Problem solved.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users