Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Svchost.exe On Startup!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.H

Mike.H

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

This seemed to have happened recently when I installed some updates from Microsoft, I'll guessing so anyway.
On start-up my PC becomes very sluggish (I have 1GB ram & a 3ghz intel p4), according to task manager svchost.exe is to blame taking up to 100k!!

I cannot understand why this is happening, svchost is a legit process??

Any form of help on this would be great, I have to end task it just for a bearable pc session.. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

-Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

This is seriously causing trouble as without the process I cannot get any sound to play and the theme occasionally changed to XP Classic, I''m guessing an application is not properly staring up, so its time to troubleshoot,

I'll check my start-up by disabling everything and then re-enabling one by one, if anyone else has any suggestions please post them.

Cheers.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

Please have a look at this post
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/66931/lots-of-svchostexe/
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

It seems I've caught the offender red handed! I went through the start-up list in msconfig disable one at a time until my PC was functioning correctly and it seems that cftmon.exe was the culprit...

Since disabling this process from the start-up, my computer is working perfectly; however I wish to know whether it is safe to disable cftmon.exe from startup and whether theres a way around this..?

cftmon.exe hogging resources is a new one for me... :S

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdelivea.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/c...n.exe-8486.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

I'm sorry I meant ctfmon.exe

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

Glad it wasn't the bad one. This link has the info you need.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:28 AM

Ah, so you think I'll be OK with this disabled?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

I would follow the instructions for "uninstall Alternative User Input" provided in that link for whichever OS and office product(s) you have on your computer. Any other deletion or blocking could cause serious problems according to the info provided.

#10 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to remove it via mconfig, but it keeps cmming back after each restart, making my PC virtually unusable, so I have followed the steps given to me by you buddy215, however I had trouble with "Step 2: Remove Alternative User Input Services from Text Services" as the option wasn't there as far as I see it.

Anyway, I'm about to restart now and see how it goes, hope this has worked.

Cheers for the support!

#11 sanj00

sanj00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

Dear All

First of all i would like to say HI to all of you as I mew to this forum..

I am also having same problem.. ALso my computer freezes up... all of sudden.. and this starts happening after installing updates...

I tried your instructions but nothing is happening

#12 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

Sanj00 Welcome to BC. Do you have ny any chance Norton products on your PC?

#13 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hey all,

Sorry fellers but this problem still persists! After a while ctfmon.exe has sneaked its way back onto my startup! (checked in mcsonfig).

I think it keeps comming back after Windows updates, guess I'll have to just keep disabling it...:thumbsup:

Is there any way around this, I want to get rid of this thing for good as its causing me much annoyance, I can barely even use my comp any more.. :flowers:

Thank you.

Edited by Mike.H, 22 December 2006 - 12:54 PM.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

Are you using IE7? Try rolling back to IE6 - that may fix your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

I guess its worth a try, I'll roll back to IE6 and see if that helps. Cheers for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users