Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P2p Network, Limited Account On Server.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

I am helping a church design a network that will work for them. It will be a peer-to-peer network, with a main computer that will be used as a file server, with XP Pro. (In fact they are going to upgrade all of the computers to XP Pro to continue getting MS support for the next few years.)

I know how to set up the server with permissions so certain users can be authorized to see certain data. That is not the issue. The issue is that now the church has decided that they want to use the server computer on Sunday for a different purpose as it is normally used for - as no one is at work in the church's offices on Sundays and it does not need to act as a file server that day.

They want to hook up a web cam to the server, and then have the server run software that then forwards the signal to the internet. This in itself is not the issue either, as they have the software and know how to get this done.

The issue is that I don't want whoever is running the web cam on Sunday to have access to the data that is stored on the server. And a further objective is to allow this user as little interaction as possible with the server.

So, I have ideas, but am not sure if this will work. Help me out, please:

The server already has two administrator accounts. I am thinking of making the files on these administor accounts private, and then creating a limited account for the Sunday operator. However, I do not want anyone to have to change users, or log on or off, or reboot the server - as I want as little interaction as possible - because I don't trust anyone not to mess with things.

If I have the server boot up to this limited account by default, and run from that account all the time, will I be able to still access the data from a 'client' computer ( remember the data is stored under an administrator account)? Or will I be blocked?

Does anyone know this for SURE? Can you direct me to a website that might explain this situation a little better for me? Or have another idea how I can set this computer up to accomplish these two functions and still keep the data secure, as well as not allow the Sunday user to change anything on the Server?

Thanks for listening, and all of your help!

EDIT: I just had an idea. What if both the Administrator account and the limited webcam account were running at the same time. That would allow the clients to still access their data as the admintrator account would be operational. And an unautherized person would not be able to access this acount as it would be password protected. And then the webcam operator would simply click on his account and be able to do his thing on Sundays. Hmmmmmm.... Another advantage to this settup would be that the backup software on the administrator account would still be able to run also.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 December 2006 - 02:29 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:21 PM

Some software for webcams has the ability to schedule the usage (I use the Swann software at my wife's office). Then, it's just a matter of scheduling it for the proper times - then the webcam won't be accessible (except for viewing) by anyone other than the administrator.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users