Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv For A Monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CPT_Russell

CPT_Russell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

hey... just looking for any advice on using a TV for a monitor

i just bought parts for and am building a new computer...

didnt buy a monitor yet because i have been in the market for a plasma/LCD flatscreen TV... lookin for a
26-37 inch TV...

just wondering how plasm/LCD fares as a monitor because i know that standard TV's have a really pixelated picture and a slow response time...

also looking for info on what ports i would need to make sure and have on my comp and TV to make it compatible... i have used S-Video before but have heard from one of my friends that it is really slow and just generally sucks... he told me to get a TV w/ a DVI port on it...

any opinions/advice fer the newbie? lol

Later,
Lon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

standard CRT TV's were the basis for the original VGA monitor. Then (ohh about 1996 or so) The S-VGA came out (the S is for super) it had a higher pixel count (pixel's per square inch). Which is why if you use a Regular CRT Tv for a monitor it looks pixelated.

for the most part I believe that the new plasma/LCD/DPI TV's and monitors are the same. Just watch the pixel counts 2000x3000 is better than 1000x2000 (these #'s are hypothetical)

As for the S-video being slower than DVI I dont know but I know that S-Video cannot transmit the same High definition picture (high pixel count) as Componant (non-existant any more I think was the jump off hook ups for HDTVs) or DVI (the best hookup on the market right now)

Posted Image

#3 CPT_Russell

CPT_Russell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

thnx...

one of my buddies said it might be better to just get like a HDTV tuner fer my comp and just get a really big monitor... or get my TV and stuff and then get a S-Video to HDTV cord or sumfin... i didnt really understand what he was tlkn about...

so is it possible that i might have to buy a different graphics card to be able to support something like that or....
this is the card i ordered from newegg... ASUS EAX1650PRO Gamer Edition/HTD/256M Radeon X1650PRO GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

thnx fer info...
Later
Lon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users