Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Install Video Card Driver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:01 AM

Everything was working normally on my notebook until yesterday which the video card stopped fuctioning because there the video card driver program somehow disappeared. Then I tried to reinstall it but after it finishes it says something like installation failed...
My video card is nVidia Geforce4 420 go.
Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

Will this help?

#3 idk

idk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

I forgot to mention under video card in device manager, doesn't say Geforce4 420 go but it says something like VGA...
I think if i can switch it back to geforce that'll solve the problem but i don't know how.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

Go to the support page of whoever manufactured your laptop and try and find a graphics driver that matches your model laptop (if you haven't already).

If it refuses to install, the graphics chipset may have gone kaput. You can usually verify a dead device like this if you use AIDA32 or Everest or a similar program that can read the raw PCI hardware identifiers. A failed PCI device will usually have an entry of [NoDB] instead of a product or chipset name in its identifier.
Posted Image

#5 idk

idk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

So is there a way of fixing it or do i have to buy a new video card?

Edited by idk, 15 December 2006 - 09:06 PM.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

idk, maybe you should download the Everest. It's really good too.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...e-Edition.shtml

arcman wrote:

You can usually verify a dead device like this if you use AIDA32 or Everest or a similar program that can read the raw PCI hardware identifiers. A failed PCI device will usually have an entry of [NoDB] instead of a product or chipset name in its identifier.

I didn't know that. Thanks for that info. I use Everest myself. At least now I'll have a reference of what to look for if something is faulty and I can use Everest.

That goes to show that some softwares do more than what they have been noted as doing initially.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

If the video is indeed bad then really the only way to fix it is to have the motherboard replaced, since that's what the video is built onto.

I'm guessing this is a somewhat older laptop, and unfortunately the part cost on top of the labor to swap it out usually isn't economical verses having the laptop replaced.
Posted Image

#8 idk

idk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:27 AM

I downloaded Everest
http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=esy9.jpg
This shows everest and the agp device says geforce so the chipset isn't broken.
What could really be the problem?

Edited by idk, 17 December 2006 - 03:05 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

Did you try and install this driver?: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Sometimes the notebook maker's drivers contain "add-ons" to the basic driver which are intended to make things easier. BUT, if it doesn't work quite right, it can actually make things more difficult.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 idk

idk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:46 AM

i tried that before but it didn't work.
The problem is that the computer does not sense the graphics card even thou it's in the computer and is not broken so the driver can not be installed because it's for the card but in device manager entry says something else.

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:05 AM

What driver are you installing? Is it from the original manufacturer? Is it up to date?

Most times the drivers from nVidia/ATI's website, the unified drivers, don't work with laptop graphics cards. You usually need to stick with the one the laptop fabricator provides.
Posted Image

#12 idk

idk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

original manufacturer's driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users