Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It Confidential: Microsoft Is Mired In Vista, Report Says

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

By John Soat
InformationWeek

Dec 11, 2006 12:00 AM

I recently came into possession of a manuscript called the Vista Study Group Report. Don't ask me how I got it: Let's just say it involved a parking garage, a cigarette-smoking man, and a code name inspired by a Robert Redford movie.

The Vista Study Group Report is a brutally honest assessment of Microsoft's marketing campaign for Windows Vista. It was solicited by Bill Gates, who is otherwise occupied, and written by a bipartisan committee of experts, including several former Microsoft executives, a retired engineer on the original IBM PC project, a federal prosecutor, a spammer, and a part-time salesman at Best Buy named Larry. The report features an executive summary and a list of 79 recommendations.
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=196602832

Edited by no one, 15 December 2006 - 12:12 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

Hi no one,

Duh to me, I suspect, but don't know which of all the listings found on the link page to read.

Thanks,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

Hummm, something went south (sorry), try
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=196602832

Edited by no one, 15 December 2006 - 12:13 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

Thanks no one , this last link worked perfectly - and made me more hesitant than ever to switch to the 'upgraded' Windows operating system anytime soon. (My trusty XP will have to continue until there is simply no more security updates/support offered by Windows).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:27 AM

More than one security review advocates waiting at least a year after release for it to stabilize (or at least the first SP ). it seems the average percent of businesses willing to up-grade (if thats what you want to call it) is around 15-20 %, so I'd say you got plenty of time to think it over.

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

I'm running the Vista RTM right now - and it's "not ready for prime-time" yet. Too many quirks and foibles for the average user to deal with.

I suspect a flood of complaints when it's released on January 31. Folks who want to add their favorite programs to it will find that it takes a bit of "arm-twisting" to do. And that they'll have to perform a few extra contortions to keep it running.

For example, here's what I went/go through for my email:
1) Install Thunderbird - won't work, use compatability settings, still won't work, then use "Run as administrator" - success
2) Start Thunderbird - UAC prompt every time
3) Install MailwasherPro - wont' work, use compatability settings - success
4) Start MailwasherPro - UAC prompt every time.
5) Put MailwasherPro in startups - Windows Defender blocks it. Must manually start it (with all the UAC prompts) each time I boot up.
6) Install Hotmail Popper and YPops and put in startups- same routine as for Mailwasher. Also, the YPops continually gives popups to verify my Yahoo account - I finally disabled it!

How many people want to go through this nut-roll each and every time they start using their email? And, since Windows Mail won't access Hotmail - you'll be forced to upgrade to the "Live" mail if you want access.

Also, I just installed the Comodo firewall along with some help from the folks at Comodo. What a huge hassle! Current version wouldn't work, but a beta does. But all the features don't work. And, it disables my email scanner (AVG Free). After trying many workarounds I gave up - and will await the Feb/Mar release of a compatible version.

Edited by usasma, 16 December 2006 - 08:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

Just reading the woes usasma went through - and that's with him knowing what he's doing!! - made me phone my sister and gently suggest she buy that new computer she wants now, while she can still get one with Windows XP on it.

Although more than an entire generation older than I am, she and many of her friends in their 80s have bought refurbished computers with Windows 98 on them - and are learning the magic of computing. Imagine them trying to cope with the woes that could await in the Vista system - eek!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just a quick note - I expect most of these "hassles" to disappear as Vista software becomes available. Some programs will remain "XP" oriented - and as such we'll need to help folks fix them.

Most of the things that I'm experiencing are caused by forcing software designed for XP to run on Vista. As software writers start writing for Vista, and get used to the "least privileged" access that Vista demands, there will be programs that are much easier to use.

In the long run, Vista will be a great thing - but right now it's too early in it's development to be suitable for anyone who uses anything other than the standard Microsoft applications.

FWIW - I found this link earlier in one of the forums that I visit. It lists programs that have been found to be compatible with the RTM release of Vista: http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...st#Anti-Spyware
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:51 AM

That article sounds like double sarcasm to me.

I'm not 'up-grading' to VISTA, I'd have to get a whole new computer because of RAM issues at the very least in order for the crazy system to work. I've got 256 RAM with room on the box for just another 256 more. From what I've read, VISTA will barely work on 512. By the time security etc. is added, you'd need at least a gig.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users