Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netscape 7.2 Vs Netscape 7.02

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jbirdie

Jbirdie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

using N7.20 and adding attachments to an email msg, you can 'lasso' several and add them in that fashion. using N7.02 only one can be added at a time. this is for a friend who does auto mechanical warranty reporting and does approx 100 attachments per week...so you can see that one at a time is not the most convenient. i tried to install 7.20 on the machine but it failed on 8 different occasions with software from netscape and several software repositories that i have used for years and trust implicitly. he uses one machine at his home (7.20 w.lassoing) and another at work (7.02 -for now), so again, you can see that he needs consistency...he is a mechanic not a geek. i have tried to steer him to firefox/thunderbird but he has used netscape for many years and likes it. can anybody offer any help in resolving this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hi Jbirdie.
Could you elaborate on "install fails"? (i.e. error messages, appears to complete but won't launch, etc)
With the Netscape Browser, is always been the same old thing. To upgrade without issues you nearly always need to remove the existing version via add\remove then go into explorer and delete specific folders left behind (i.e. GRE directory, etc) then install the full version of the upgrade. If Netscape is using multiple profiles that becomes an issue with upgrading as well. You need to get it down to one in many cases.
Soooo.....if you could provide some detail, that would help. :thumbsup:

#3 Jbirdie

Jbirdie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:39 AM

the install process just stops - no error, it just disappears from the tasktray and main window. appears to complete but won't launch - i use process explorer (task mgr) and there are no instances of netscape or setup running. then i go to the directory where it is supposed to be installed and there are lots of files including nscpe.exe ( a name close to that anyway) and i double click on it with no results, then i right click it and click 'open' with no results. it disappears, goes away, dies, etc while it is installing javascript - jre1.4.2etc. i then use the uninstaller that comes with the progeam ( i have also used the control panel as well) and try again with identical resilts. its really weird because i have no probs installing 7.02 but 7,20 don;t want to go. finally, i am letting the default install values control the install, except for mcafee, but all others are used because i didnt want too many variables in researching the cause of this weirdness. i hope this helps you and you help me...either way Merry Christmas!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users