Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

I have a medium-end sytem and I'm upgrading the video card. I have a pretty generic psu and was wondering if I should get a new one.
Specs:
Sempron 2800+ (usually madly overclocked)
1.5gigs pc3200 ram
6800oc video card (also oc-ed)
2 dvd\cd rom drives
1 hdd
4 led fans
350w psu (+12v 15a)

I ran a psu calculator test and it said I only needed 275w. But I'm not sure if I trust this. I also know that even if my psu isn't really 'sufficient', it still might run, but will run much better with a bigger psu.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:02 AM

If it was me, I'd try to get a bigger PSU, is the 275w with the old card, or new? If it's with the new you make it, if it's the old you might not. But a good name PSU with power to spare is the way I would go.
Like, Antec, Thermaltake, not a cheapo tho, you get what you pay for. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

I always give myself about a 30% pad when I use those calculators just to make sure. Power Supplies always weaken over time so you want to have room for the eventual degradation of the unit.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

"Some is good, more is better" :thumbsup:

Seriously, with a PSU it's good to "pad" your requirements. This lets you add additional stuff later on without overloading the power supply.

My favorite PSU is the PC Cooling & Power. A tad expensive, but very, very reliable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

"Some is good, more is better" :thumbsup:

Indeed, I bought myself a nifty 650 watt PSU a while ago and I noticed that the computer runs a little bit smoother now with the extra headroom (I had a 350 watt before) especially when I'm using both optical drives and both hard drives simultaneously.

#6 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. The psu test calc i did was for my new video card, overclocked, all usb ports in, ect (usually don't have everything overloaded like that.)

If it was up to me, I would have gotten a better psu to begin with, but it was free, new from a friend (he bought wrong connection to mobo). He gave it to me and it was fine for my system.

And as right now with being kinda tight on money, i was wondering if this *should* be ok for me without cost to my system performance.

I ran the test again with the settings i have right now(older vid card - 9600xt) and no overclocks and stuff and it said it recommended 220w psu.

In a few years (like lotsa people), i'll be upgrading everything to dx10 and all that stuff. Just want something to let me play new games ok till then.

#7 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

I always overkill with my power supply. I have a 680w Apevia Beast. with a 4600+, nforce590 am2 pci-e mobo, 7950GT, 250gig hard drive, and 2 gigs of ram.
I didnt bother putting details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users