Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Detecting Unusual Objects

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hi There :trumpet:

Well today I ran my virus, spyware, and on-line scans. Here's what I used:

Ad-Aware - clean
Windows Live-One Care - cleaned one item in the registry
Spy Sweeper - clean
Ewido Anti-spyware - clean
Panda - clean
McAfee - clean

However, when I ran Spybot I got THESE 3 items:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallOverride: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallOverride!=dword:0

What the heck is this? It looks highly unusual. I looked at these values in the registry and it's my guess that it's just a logical arguement to tell Windows how I want Security Center to monitor my Firewall and antivirus. I also looked in Security Center and my settings have not changed.

I first noticed this after scanning in late November. These enteries did NOT appear before then. Maybe a false detection on Spybot's part?? Who knows? :flowers:

I have no unusual enteries in Hijack This. My computer runs at normal speed with no hangups or crashes and no popups whatsoever.
All my security software is completely up to date including Windows Updates.

Any ideas of what this is and should I clean those enteries or ignore them?

I'm using Windows XP, SP2 fully patched.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dreads

Dreads

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

It's your notify options with windows security, nothing to be worried about if it doesn't pop up on your virus scanner. You can have spybot ignore them in the next scan if you would like.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

For your Spybot alerts on Windows Security Center read the discussion here and Why does Spybot-S&D flag changes in the Windows Security Center?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users