Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Boot Order

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

Sometimes the neatest stuff is the hardest to find. So, I thought that I would ask: Does anyone know of any good utilities for managing the order in which programs boot on a PC? On my HP Pavilion desktop with XP Home SP2, I have a few programs that are only for my convenience or enjoyment; they are trivial. Some of them are up and running before my AV/firewall (ZoneAlarm) has fired up. I really don't think that I care for that. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:02 AM

Klick start than go to run and type msconfig. Klick the tab startup and there you can see which programs are starting up. Attention :

Do not untick anything to do with your AV,printer and firewall this may cause the system to be instable.

If in any diubt please consult this on startup programs

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for the reply, but I already knew all of that. The information you have provided has nothing to do with my question. If my question does not make any sense, please say so and I will attempt to reword it.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

Let me phrase how I understood it :

You want a number of programs not to start up or start up later. What I have given you is a possibility to prevent the programs for your enjoyment to start up. Can you explain me why you want this?Here some reading

edit :Would this do the trick?

Edited by fozzie, 14 December 2006 - 08:37 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Your question does not make sense. The title to your post is "Program Boot Order..." yet your post doesn't address boot order at all. Rather it addresses startup entries. Also, there are no "qualifiers" in your post indicating what your level of knowledge is. Because of this we've got to guess at what you want.

Boot order in XP is a dynamic process - it changes with the requirements. If you enable boot logging on your system, boot once into Safe Mode and once into regular mode, and then compare the 2 - you'll see that the order changes.

There are many articles devoted to this around the web, but until I understand your question better I can't recommend a specific one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

I apologize that I was unable to explain my question more clearly. And I definitely apologize if anything I posted came across as rude. Thank you for the link to "Absolute Startup", fozzie, that would have done the trick. however, McAfee SiteAdvisor details say that that side downloads spyware and trojans, so I am not going to try it. Until I can figure out how to explain my goal more accurately, please consider this thread closed. Thank you again.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

Thread closed per Original Post Members request. Only the original poster can PM any staff member to have this thread re-opened if they wish.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users