Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows-system Error!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snugent

snugent

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

i keep getting a pop up window on the taskbar that is telling me that "there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network." how do i change the ip address so that this stops popping up? thanks.
ps- the computer is running windows xp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Is this on a home or company network? If it is on a home network, how many other computers are you connected to the network? Give us as much detail as you can about your present setup. How long have you been getting this IP conflict? Do you know if you are using static, or dynamic IP addressing? What is you current IP address setting....

Click Start, Run...
Type in cmd
Click the OK button.
At the prompt...Type the following and press enter....
ipconfig

Let us know.
JC

#3 snugent

snugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

three computers are set up on the network, all running xp. the message has been coming up for only a day now. as far as i know it's a static ip. how do i check to see what my ip is right now?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:14 PM

Click Start, Run...
Type in cmd
Click the OK button.
At the prompt...Type the following and press enter....
ipconfig

:thumbsup:

You could also check the other computers as well.
If it is just a rare glitch, you may want to reboot all of the computers on you network to see if the problem resolves itself.
JC

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

I usually see this on a DHCP network where at least one of the computers is set to hibernate or standby. What happens is that the system that hibernates takes the IP address into hibernation with it.

Then another user logs on and gets that same IP assigned. When the hibernating computer resumes, it'll give this error (and so will the other computer).

The solution is to assign static IP address' to each system on the network.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users