Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Benchmark My Pc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Luke318is

Luke318is

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

AMD Athlon 3700+
1gig ram
nvidia geforce 6800 GS CO SE

Games=choppy. still nicely rendered, but way too slow to play. noticeable degradation from when i bought the pc.

ive tried every driver, every directx version, defrag and lots more. all after 3 fresh formats.

cant get oblivion or BF2142 to stop being choppy as hell, way worse than when i bought the comp. so i am starting to think its some kind of hardware failure issue

how do i benchmark my PC to find out which hardware is crapping out, whether it be the ram, the HD, the vidcard, or the motherboard.

info much appreciated, thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 December 2006 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

There isn't a benchmark for the PC, but this software comes close: http://www.sisoftware.net/ (the Lite version is the free one)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:21 PM

hm. my computer had a 6800 GS, a gig of RAM, and a 3000+. and it ran games perfectly.
someone i know has a 2700+ a gig of ram and an x800GT and he can run Oblivion fine.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 13 December 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#4 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hi Luke,
I've had lots of problems with my PC as well. I see you haven't filled out the specs page yet. Are you by any chance using Windows One Care and Defender? Those programs corrupted my new XP machine a few times and I had to wipedisk and reload. I got rid of both those programs and have had less problems.

You can go to My Controls after you login and describe your hardware and software. It will help the helpers.
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#5 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

sisoft sandra lite never worked for me...weird.. anyways, the only benchmarking tool i use is 3DMark06

get it from www.futuremark.com

#6 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:35 AM

sisoft sandra lite never worked for me...weird..

Huh? :thumbsup:

Luke,
CheckIt Diagnostics is a program to test your hardware. Here is the link C:\Program Files\CheckIt\Diagnostics\Help\Dghelp.htm. Wait, that's no help. It came with Norton System Works 2006 which is a POS. Maybe they'll let you try it at the Symantec site.
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

More for checking for faulty components....

For hard disks, you can download a diagnostic utility from the manufacturers website. See this topic - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
For checking memory, you could try to the Windows Memory Diagnostic. - http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Speed fan is also good for monitoring temps, and can also access S.M.A.R.T info for you hard disk.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Windows Taskmanager can check your current memory and CPU usage.
JC

#8 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

hm. my computer had a 6800 GS, a gig of RAM, and a 3000+. and it ran games perfectly.
someone i know has a 2700+ a gig of ram and an x800GT and he can run Oblivion fine.

ya, mine ran them perfectly as well, until it went downhill and then i formatted, making it worse than ever and games are almost unplayable. The system restarts in 20 seconds, and everything else is fast, graphics rendering is the problem.

very annoying and strange, cant figure it out

thanks for info folks

Edited by Luke318is, 14 December 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#9 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

wow, what a great program sandra is!.

here are my system specs

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : LUKECOMP
User : Luke
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3700+
Speed : 2.22GHz
Model Number : 3700 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR3991 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
System : System manufacturer System Product Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1010MHz (2020MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
Monitor/Panel : NEC MultiSync 70
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : ST3120813AS (112GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B (CD 48X Rd, 48X Wr) (DVD 6X Rd, 6X Wr)
CD-ROM/DVD : JZ7008L XXK404M SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 112GB (89GB, 80% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : Generic USB Hub
Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant game controller
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Device : Standard Game Port
Device : Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

Printers and Faxes
Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Model : Adobe PDF

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
Adapter : Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SRX

Performance Tips
Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory.
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Notice 5901 : CD 1x= 150kB/s; Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.
Notice 5902 : DVD 1x= 11.08Mbps Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

Sandra is a great program because it will identify problems on your system also. Have you checked for alerts/warnings/notes that are listed in the Sandra report?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

i found a clue....hehe

i noticed that right when the game starts i get about 5 seconds of smoothness, i guess before landscape starts to load.

if i put my comp on standby during a game, then hit the power button and resume, it pops back into the game and runs like a dream for another 5 seconds, then starts to chop...

does this tell anyone anything??? faulty ram or faulty vid card?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

Sound like it's the video drivers (if it's occurring when using standby). Try updating your drivers to the latest, WHQL certified version available from the manufacturer's website ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html )

#13 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

Sound like it's the video drivers (if it's occurring when using standby). Try updating your drivers to the latest, WHQL certified version available from the manufacturer's website ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html )

The only time it IS smooth is when coming OUT of standby...as soon as the game reloads onto the screen from standby....or right when i start up the game, it is smooth, then goes to hell as soon as anything starts loading.

Ive tried those drivers...didnt seem to fix.

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

What is your memory usage? It kind of sounds like it is running out of RAM and starts using the page-file. But you should have enough RAM to avoid that.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:23 AM

I reread your Sandra report and saw the warnings, etc at the bottom this time . Sorry 'bout that!

Your specs are good, so there shouldn't be any choppiness due to the system. This leaves software/driver problems, or bad hardware.

Try taking a look in Task Manager - at both the Processes tab (to check for a program hogging your resources) and the Performance tab (to check for something hogging your CPU or your pagefile/RAM.

BTW - what size is your pagefile? Generally it's recommended to be 1 times the size of your RAM (1.5 gB in your case). I use a fixed size (Start and Maximum values are the same) in order to save on resources - although the impact of a Windows managed pagefile isn't all that great.

Then I'd start looking for patches for the game, then for patches for your hardware drivers. It'll help your search if you physically remove any unneeded hardware (and it's software) while you're troubleshooting. You may even want to look for BIOS updates that relate to this particular problem.

Another option is to try a repair install of XP ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) but I'm just guessing with it.

EDIT: While I'm not familiar with Oblivion, I've recently heard of video games that are capable of using more than 1 gB of memory - and that they will continue to use the swap file if they need it (which will slow down the performance). Try setting the game to a lower resolution/frame rate/ video quality and see if this fixes the problem.

Edited by usasma, 16 December 2006 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users