Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Address Bar Wont Take Me To Web Pages I Type In

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tink2725

tink2725

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

I just got a new computer today (other just wouldn't start up). It was working ok durning installing printer scaner ect. The last thing I installed was firefly smartdisk. I also registered the McAfee that came with the computer. I can't to to web pages when I type in the address bar. I can go if I search from my home page or use a saved favorites link.

Any clue what I need to do to fix this this is very annoying. Running scans with McAfee so far nothing.

Thanks
Tink

windows xp media center edition
IE 6.0

Edited by tink2725, 13 December 2006 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

Try to run System File Checker to see if that helps.

See this - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck.
JC

#3 tink2725

tink2725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hi I tried the system file checker, the first time it needed items and It didn't work. I then followed the directions of coping the i386 folder to the C drive. I ran the checker again. It didn't ask for a cd I'm going to reboot and try the web address again. So far no luck. Any other things I can try?

I rebooted again and no luck. :-(
I tried to restore to earler and no luck doing that either.

Edited by tink2725, 13 December 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

Do you have a high speed internet connection? Have you downloaded all of your security updates and patches from the Microsoft update site? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

With a new computer, you may have to make several visits back to the Microsoft Updates site to ensure that all updates have been installed.

Not that this fixes your exact problem with IE, but an excellent alternative to using IE is FireFox.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Edited by Joshuacat, 13 December 2006 - 09:09 PM.

JC

#5 tink2725

tink2725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

I did have an update done automaticly from Microsoft I was thinking that may have caused the problem. I will manualy go try updates and see if that helps. Is there anything to look for that will help? Things like IE updates I guess?

If that dont help I will have to restore back to the begining.

Edited by tink2725, 13 December 2006 - 09:48 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:18 AM

Try using the Firefox browser from http://www.mozilla.com as Joshuacat suggested. This will tell you if it's Internet Explorer that is the problem, or if it's elsewhere on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tink2725

tink2725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

Just an update for you, I tried to install updates but they were stuck and for hours just sat like it was installing 1 of 30 and it did nothing. I just did a restore and now its working. As Im adding things to my comptuer Im checking everything and making restroe points along the way. After that I will get all updates. Do you think it could have been the one update? I was thinking that or McAfee. Evertime I would try to do something McAfee would be downloading.

Anyway I'm not allowing McAfee to download this time, I may resort back to my norton lol. I also have a CD of PC-Cilin to try. Are there any issues with PC-Cilin? With McAfee I notice (I have a network set up) My son would not be allowed to go online I had to approve of him several time. I also couldn't go online it was blocking me it seemed. But IE was approved in the settings?

I love firfox and I do use that browser also.

Tink

Edited by tink2725, 14 December 2006 - 09:33 AM.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

We have a list of Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

The list includes a few free Antivirus applications. Right now, I am using AVG free. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Make sure that you only have 1 antivirus program installed on your computer. More than one antivirus installed will cause conflicts.

It is also important that you get all the required Windows Updates and patches before you start loading all of your other applications on your computer.
They should install automatically, I prefer to get them manually on a new computer so that I don't have to wait until the Auto updates complete to have a fully patched and updated computer.

This is also a good guide to follow. - Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Good-luck.
JC

#9 tink2725

tink2725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

thanks I will get some updates now. I didn't install much of anything yet. Thanks for your help!
Tink

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

I prefer PCCillin to the McAfee and Norton. We use it at work and it doesn't have any issues that I'm aware of. (I use AVG Free at home).

Be sure to uninstall the other antivirus apps before installing a new one. Conflicting A/V apps can let viruses through.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 tink2725

tink2725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:01 AM

Ok will do thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users