Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Document (urgent)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

After finishing my work on wordpad, I went so save my work, I saved it under a different file name to the one i was saving with originally. After it was saved I opened that document was up, it came up my work which was saved on the other document. The strange thing is, is that it has parts that were in the new version, even though the one I was seeing was the old version.

I have searched the whole computer to see if it was perhaps somewhere else.

I had also tried to attach the file and send it to a friend so that they could print it off for me, and it failed. I dont know why. A friend of mine suggested that it might still be in the outbox as I could not send the email either.

Any suggestions on what to do?

I need to submit this work by 11:30 on thursday GMT.

THanks for any help.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Ops, sorry, not thinking straight.

Edited by dark messenger, 13 December 2006 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

I would do a search using the DATE/TIME format.

If you have the original file, search using that date (if both are on the same date), and you may find your file. You may need to manually open each file to verify it's the one because it's possible you could have saved the file under a different extension.

Have you tried looking in your inbox?

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Nup, didnt work

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Let's see if I understand this correctly.
You were working on a document in Wordpad, saving it various times as you went along with the same file name. At some point, you finished, and saved that text as a different file name, say XXXFinal.
Now you cannot find that last document.
I do not understand from your description what has happened to the contents of the prior version, except that evidently parts of the final document were found there, and they should not have been there.

Your second problem was that you attempted to attach one of the files and E-mail it for printing, but for some reason it did not go through.
Did your friend get the body of the E-mail, but without the attachment? What was the file type (extension) that you attempted to attach, and approximately what was its size in bytes? If you check your E-mail on-line, does your E-mail show anywhere, and is there an attachment with it?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

It was saved as a rich text format..

With the document, its like this:

Old version looks like this --> ABCDEF

New/updated version looks like this --> ABCDEFGHIJK

after I saved the document as a new file name, I opened it up and what i saw was this --> ABCDEF JK

I hope you get that explanation :thumbsup::flowers:

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:37 PM

Soo..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users