Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msvcr80.dll Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

After running Nortons Windoctor, it reports that i have msvcr80.dll missing from MSN Messenger.

I typed this in Search and i have this file twice in Windows WinSxS x 86 at 612kbs
plus one in System 32

After Googling the problem, I think it is something to do with NEt Framework but I dont know.

It happened after my son deleted MSN Messenger and installed live messenger.

Now I dont know where this file should be in the first place. I cut and pasted into Net framework, only to take it out again and put it with other dll files in system 32.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

Copying that file to your /System32/ folder should do it.

Have you rebooted since doing such? If not, do so.

If not, try reinstalling MSN Messenger

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

Do you actually need the file to run something - or is this just a report that it's missing? If you don't need it, then don't worry about it.

You can uninstall the .NET framework and then let Windows Update reinstall it for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

If WinDoctor keeps nagging about the missing .dll have it ignore the problem. This seems to be a problem with WinDoctor and as usual Symantec hasn't come up with a fix. BTW. I hate all Norton utilities/products.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

. . . BTW. I hate all Norton utilities/products.

My sentiments exactly!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for your comments. I was copying and pasting this file from one to another last night. What I want to do is place it back to its proper home - at present it is pasted back in System 32 - is this the correct place do you think?

I also noticed last night, an update to NET Framework 2 and installed it.

I will ignore Nortons Windoctor, but would like to know if this file is in its proper place.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for your comments. I was copying and pasting this file from one to another last night. What I want to do is place it back to its proper home - at present it is pasted back in System 32 - is this the correct place do you think?

I also noticed last night, an update to NET Framework 2 and installed it.

I will ignore Nortons Windoctor, but would like to know if this file is in its proper place.

it should be placed in System32.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users