Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wish There Was A Codec How To...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hothett

hothett

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

i have recently come into some problems with playing, editing, converting, splitting etc.... and i know it is a codec problem.
i have used g-spot to find the problems but i havent figured anything out yet.

i am a pretty computer smart person but i still need help with this. could someone hold my hand and guide me through a fix? please?

thanks
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

Explain your issue.

#3 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

programs i use

tmpge encoder
tmpge dvd author
ez splitter
ez joiner
xilisoft converter
speed video donverter
intervideo dvd copy
imagegrabberII
cucusoft encoder
dbpower amp

also player
windows media player (preferred)
media player classic
VLC player

up untill recentlyi had no problem playing ALL video files and converting from any to any (some realplayer exceptions). i tried installing another dvd maker and everything was fine.... then a few days later files wouldnt play correct, i cant convert files, my encoder in converting to HUGE file sizes IF it will even work.

the g-spot is saying a few things (5 problems)
- - ** Problem ** ** Missing file: aviwrap.dll
- - ** Problem ** ** Missing file: C:\PROGRA~1\ACEMEG~1\SystemS\SONY\atrac3.acm
- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing: C:\PROGRA~1\ACEMEG~1\SystemS\vfcodec.dll
- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing: C:\PROGRA~1\ACEMEG~1\SystemS\Rududu\rududu.dll
- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing: C:\PROGRA~1\ACEMEG~1\SystemS\etxcodec.dll

i am very suspicious it isnt this aviwrap.dll
most of my problems (of course) are with avi's

i had tried to reinstall some of my codec packs but it didnt seem to work.

i hope this is a place to start

Edited by hothett, 13 December 2006 - 05:26 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hi hothett.

i had tried to reinstall some of my codec packs but it didnt seem to work.

The missing files and codecs gspot is reporting are part of the Ace Mega Codecs pack.
It is downloadable from here.

#5 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

i have reinstalled this codec pack 3 times trying to fix this.
it suggests (but i never did it) to uninstall divx,klite and nimo. i guess i should do that? does the ace mega codec pack put those 3 back on?

and also when i intall it it cant write(copy) these 3 files
kmvidc32.dll
avi2lib.dll
avim5zh.dll

i will uninstall these 3 like ACE MEGA says to and see what happens when i reinstall ace.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

i have reinstalled this codec pack 3 times trying to fix this.
it suggests (but i never did it) to uninstall divx,klite and nimo. i guess i should do that? does the ace mega codec pack put those 3 back on?

and also when i intall it it cant write(copy) these 3 files
kmvidc32.dll
avi2lib.dll
avim5zh.dll

i will uninstall these 3 like ACE MEGA says to and see what happens when i reinstall ace.

You have the same exact problem I had.. and I the same problems with my .avi files. No other files what-so-ever... just .avi files. Then I noticed later on as I done my converting and so forth... NOTHING at all was converting and burning properly. As a matter of fact, no software at all would burn a disc, even new/trials I decided to try. Nothing worked.

Here is my suggestion... it worked for me.

1. If you have Nero... uninstall it.
2. If you use Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, iTunes, QuickTime, stop using them. If you're going to use those softwares on the same operating system your .avi files are on,, I wouldn't dare connect that computer to the Internet.
3. Uninstall all your divers for your cd and dvd drive, then power down the computer.
4. Open up the computer case and disconnect your cd and dvd drives, and boot up the computer.
5. During this login session, you need to use a registry cleaner to clean out your registry.
6. After you've done all of the above, power down, and plug in the drives you disconnected. Then boot it up.
7. After your computer boots, it should find those drives you just connected. After it does, if you have the driver discs, insert them and install your drives.

Here are my tips... they are working for me.

8. Whatever hard drive that's going to convert/burn my audio/video, that computer doesn't get connected to the Internet. The reason is this..... I'm convinced that the problems are related to DRM, and the stop of people converting & burning media on to discs. My personal take on this?, we're all suspects in the DRM conflict.
9. DO NOT download and do converting on that same machine. That goes back to no#8. I'm convinced that something is put on computers that prevents audio/video softwares from converting and burning. I'm too convinced with it. All of the softwares are sharing a few common files, and so are the cd/dvd players. Somehow, it's being done. I'll bank on it too.
10. Whenever you want to watch/here your media,, refer to no#'s 1 & 2.
11. Whenever you want to watch/here your media,, DO NOT use no#'s 1 & 2
12. Don't be tempted to use those programs, if you plan to go online. What you play in them are reported back to the Internet. Again,,,, I personally have a problem with that.
13. Stop using IE to browse and find your .avi files.

Other than that, you're just short of backing up your computer data, and simply reformatting and reinstalling your OS.. but don't even think about it if you're going to use the Internet and you have your converting/burning software installed on it too. Remember this too... I had the same exact, exact, exact problem too, and it was pissing me off. After studying and doing the ol' process-of-elimination a few different times, I knew then, that something is being put on computers to prevent/disrupt, or even destroy softwares that have to do with converting/burning.

I'm near my ending studies of the Windows Media Player, and why it wouldn't play 21 original cd's that were blocked on 1 computer, and the same 21 original cd's were blocked on a different computer that just had the Windows XP Pro installed,, just days before.

Although none of this is cast-in-stone/concrete information, I'm sure you can investigate for yourself. But I'm just telling you from my experience,, not from a text book or a written manual, but from someone who has thought for the longest time, that I had to be the only one with that problem... but now I'm seeing this problem being posted more and more... not just here, but on other forums. And the reasons were this, for most of us,, including myself,,,,

we were all using softwares listed in no#1 & 2, and a few minute other programs.

What a coincidence.

Edited by Walkman, 15 December 2006 - 01:30 AM.

#7 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

i completely understand not wanting the players to not get online (which my firewall stops - i dont let them talk online) but i think for me removing drivers and opening my computer is alittle drastic (for me right yet).

why is there no law against these companies doing stuff to your computers? makes a mofo want to learn to make viruses....

anyway i have yet to get it taken care of but really am waiting for a different solution before i really investigater further. takes me too much time to figure it out myself... which i dont have yet.

any other suggestions?

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

What have you tried so far?

Are you just waiting for answers or are you also trying different methods?

If anything, at least uninstall your converting/burning software and then reinstall them.

Other than that, all I can suggest is to backup your data, then reinstall your os. Then do it all over again, but this time, use Firefox for your browsing, and NOT IE. IE is tied into programs being corrupted.

#9 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:35 AM

i am waiting for a supermodel to come to my house to fix it but since that wont happen :thumbsup:

mainly i have only tried reinstalling my codec packs, and other codec packs. i am careful as to the sourses.

i do intend for my next attemp at a fix to uninstall all my associated programs and reinstall them, along with any codec packs and unused programs (assorted cr*p i have found and tried)

my main 2 problems are organization and time. if i can get my data and programs a bit more orginized as to what i use and dont then i am laughing. and also which installs i need to get rounded up.

more or less i was hoping to learn how to make individual fixes in congunction with the g-spot results.... if this is a reliable tool for fixing.

and i really try not to use IE but a few places i go it is better than M/FF

#10 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

now i go to edit a qt movie in qt player i i cant edit there anymore either.
i am soooo frustarted. seems my computer changes everyday.

:thumbsup:

#11 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:03 AM

Can understand your frustration. Allthough walkman has given you some sound advise, perhaps this could help :

I see you have 3 codec packs on your PC, this is a one way road to oblivion. No supermodel can help you there.... :thumbsup: I strongly would suggest you look at the packs and decide which you want and keep one. The quickest and cleanest solution would be :

1) Uninstall ALL codec packs
2) Uninstall ALL players and burning software
3) For Nero you should use the cleaning tool utility which you can download from the nero site

Start up in safe mode with no internet connection

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

a) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
:flowers: Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Reboot in normal mode and do a windowsupdate here
Most likely you will be prompted to install WMP again. This will come with the most used codecs. After that you can gradually start to install other players.

After that you should check under MY COMPUTER RIGHTCLICK PROPERTIES HARDWARE AUDIO AND VIDEO CONTROL which codecs you allready have and which ones you would like to have. A great source for codecs is here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users