Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kanbun

kanbun

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

I recently downloaded a video that needed an updated codec. I installed the codec, but when I played the video it played in Media Player Classic rather than Media Player. I went to the options in Media Player to be sure that it was still designated as my default player, and it is. But, no matter what format I try, I now get Media Player classic as the default. What can I do short of uninstalling Classic?

Any suggetions would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kanbun

kanbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

If anybody's interested, I figured it out. When I went to Media Classic options, under file types, I noticed that some file types had a very faint check mark. I unchecked these, click apply, and closed Classic. I then went back to Media Player and checked file types under options, and noticed that the same file types were checked, but the box was gray with a check mark in it. I unchecked, then checked each again which removed the gray inside the box, clicked apply and Voila! Everything now works normally.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hi kanbun. Glad you sorted it.

FYI. You can go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. In the left panel of that page is a box to set defaults. Also, you can use right click>Open With to choose and set whatever you wish.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

For privacy reasons, it's a good idea to use the Media Player Classic as your default player, especially if you're viewing movies or such off-line. If you're wanting to use Windows Media Player for online usage (viewing video in web pages) then that's alright.

Windows Media Player, along with some other standard media software "phone home", whenever you load media into them, back to the Internet. So.. if you insist on it being your default player, just be aware of that.

The Media Player Classic is smaller, straight forward, and doesn't contain and tracking/monitoring mechanisms. Any dvd's, downloaded videos, or any such media never gets played in my Windows Media Player. I will only use it if I'm on a web site that requires it. And the only reason I'm ok with that is that I'm not downloading the video.... and I'm sure they've tracked the web site in which the video came from too, even when playing them online. I'm sure that's unpreventable, since you're already online.

Don't be surprised when you start playing some of your media and Windows Media Player suddenly stops playing them and then opening a message window telling you that you need a license to play that content.

About 2 weeks ago I've worked on a computer where dude wanted all of his music files playable again,, but come to find out, somehow Windows Media Player put a block on over 21 of his original cd's..... that he loaded into just to play... Maybe he'd been making copies of it. Who knows?... but the point is now none of his cd's play, even trying to use Windows Media Player.

I transferred his files to my computer, and I even tried his original cd's, and they too, wouldn't play at all in my computer..... after doing some testing of his files, It became apparent the Windows Media Player encrypted his files, which now are not playable. If you say "Go a download a license for them".... I tried it already... even on his computer, and still...... no go.

That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't use Windows Media Player as my default player.... you are telling it to attach itself to all of your media files,,,, and if it encrypts them, you may be screwed, just like dude is right now.

#5 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

searching for an answer to my own "problem" I ran across your exchange with Kanbun....interesting, and similar to my issue. Recently I installed Nero with a new DVD burner and now Nero has become my default media player. I was actually trying to see how I could go back to WMP but from what you said it seems like I should leave Nero as the default. With that being the case is it possible (or advisable) to get rid of WPM?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users