Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical Refresh Rate Query.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I ran a check today with Everest Home Edition and saw that I needed to update my chipset drivers which I managed to do online.

Everest also reported on my Display ----- Desktop----- Problems/Suggestions, that: " At least 85hz Vertical Refresh Rate is recommended for classic (CRT) displays".

Mine it said was set at 60hz. Excuse my ignorance but where do I change this setting on my PC, and is it ok to do so?.

Thanks in advance for any help offered,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

You'll change it in the properties for your display adapter. But, if the monitor isn't giving you any problems - why change it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

Thank you for the reply John.
A couple of times in the past my monitor has gone blank and the only way I could get it on was to push the restart button.

On reading the Everest Home prob/suggest I thought that perhaps this was what had caused that to happen. If you think I should leave it alone I will do so.

What exactly is it telling me this message about raising the Hz?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

A higher refresh rate will make the monitor appear smoother (some folks say that the 60 hZ gives them headaches). Some folks recommend the higher rate, but I believe that it will consume additional resources. So I opt for the lower rate myself.

I dunno why your monitor will lock up like that, but I doubt that it has to do with the refresh rate. It's a simple change tho' - so you can experiment with it to be sure.

My position is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't believe in changing things if they're not causing problems - there's no reason to add the extra stuff, and it's possible that it could destabilize things.

For example, if your monitor is starting to go, how many cycles does it have left before it goes? If this is related to the refresh rate, then an 85 hertz refresh rate will go through the cycles more often than the 60 hertz refresh rate.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

Your probably right John, and it's one of them things that if I got other problems I could try then.

In conjunction with my Monitor starting to go. What is the expected life span of a PC monitor in general. The one I have is a Hansol 730E 19"screen, old type housing. At the time I bought the PC approx 3yrs ago I had the choice of a flat screen or the old type. After doing some research on both types I figured that a good quality 19" old type was better than a bottom spec 17"flat screen and got the one I have.

Again many thanks for your advice John,
Bluesjunior.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

I dunno the lifespan (having never killed one myself). My son's have 19" Viewsonic's that are over 4 years old without any problems.

But, with the popularity of flat panels these days, you can pick up a replacement CRT for a song. So, if you're happy with it, stick with it.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

My good old Hewlett Packard CRT is at least 6-7 years old. It's still going strong and has outlived 4 computers. I got it with an old HP Pavillion that was made when Windows 98SE was still being bundled with new PCs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users