Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Firewire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yotam4

yotam4

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:41 AM

hello people!
i am new to this site, but searching google i found some old strings and it looks like a great forum, very helpful. i didn't, however, find a solution to my problem, so decided to reg+post my own. here goes:

i have a sony mini DV cam connected via a firewire card, a conncetion that has worked pefectly (almost) for about 6 months. then i didn't use it for about a month, and now i can't get XP to recognize the camcorder. i have tried everything i could think of! here's wht i di:
connected another camcorder (panasonic), and XP reognized just fine
took my cam to another comp with firewire, and it worked fine
got a new FW cable, and it still didn't work

that's about it. help will be much appreciated!!!

thanx in advance!

yotam from israel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:53 AM

Does it come up with a message saying new hardware detected in the bottom right Taskbar. (By the clock).
If you look there maybe a icon that looks like a card with an arrow ontop. Click this and see if the device is listed to be removed. This could be a drive letter allocation issue.
If this does show from there then it is recognising the device. If it does not then you will be looking at updating drivers from the manufacturer for your camera.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 yotam4

yotam4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:59 AM

thank you for your quick answer!
there is absolutely no response upon connection!
whereas when i connect a different camcorder it is instatnly recognized, and works perfectly.

Edited by yotam4, 13 December 2006 - 05:00 AM.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:32 AM

Have you made sure that the camcorder is turned on when connected via firewire. try plugging the cables together then turn the camcorder on and see if there is any change to the PC or any notification on the camcorder saying PC Connection.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 yotam4

yotam4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

ok,
the camcorder is turned on and all, but i didn't think to check if there is any indication on it about the connection, well there is. the camcorder shows the "DVin" icon when connected, but still no respone from XP.

Edited by yotam4, 13 December 2006 - 05:42 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

I'd uninstall any software that you've installed for the camera on your system. Then install the latest version available from the manufacturer's website. Follow the directions exactly because the order that things are done in is very important with these sort of devices.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

I would have a look in disk management and check that the assigned drives have a letter. If not assign a letter to the un allocated drives.

What can happen is if a mapped drive is on the machine and it is useing a letter that the Camera has used before it will try and assign that letter to the device again. If that letter mo longer exists then it will be unable to show as a drive.

Have a look by using the run and typing diskmgmt.msc. If you see a drive fr the camcorder but no drive letter. Right click on it and assign a new letter.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#8 yotam4

yotam4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

projectfocus, thanx! i tried doing what you suggested, but the camcorder doesn't even show up on disk management. also, i tried it with the other cam, that IS recognized, and it didn't show up on there either. so i'm really at wit's end over here!!!
any more suggestions will be very welcome indeed!!!
HELP

#9 yotam4

yotam4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:55 AM

well...
finally solved the problem!!
if anyone wants to know, it may linked to 2 major issues: