Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haunted Pc?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alleyrulez

alleyrulez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

woke up this morning to some tapping sound. I look around the room to see what it was, and my computer is ON (turned it off last night) and is making the aforementioned tapping noise.

not sure how the pc turned itself back on, or why it was making that sound.

I turned it off manually, and restarted, everything seems fine.

anyone have any ideas what happened?

later that afternoon, it happened again. the tapping noise that I hear is coming mostly from my speakers, the pc itself, not so much.

the power light doesn't actually come on, just the "activity" indicator, or whatever you call it. when I turn the monitor on, the screen is black, no test pattern, anything.

I have Windows XP.

did some troubleshooting online. my pc doesn't take long to boot up, never had any freezes, and there is no grinding noise (or any other, aside from the tapping) that would signal that the hard drive is going out...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

Do you have the speakers turned on all of the time. Or do you turn them off. The tapping noise could just be interferance from another device. I would check to see if the wires for the audio from the PC are tangled round power cables. This would cause interferance. Try turning the volume down on the speakers tonight and see if you get the same problem.

I am not sure why your PC is turning on though. You have not set some sort of schedule to start the machine at a certain timehave you.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:38 AM

Do you have a firewall and antivirus? The only time my computer started up without me was when I disabled my firewall, forgot to put it back on and some one else took control of my computer. That made me a little upset.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Boot into your Bios settings and make sure you don't have any "Wake On" services enabled such as Wake-on-LAN and etc.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 alleyrulez

alleyrulez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

thanks for the replies. took it to a local repair shop, and they said that it was a bad "power supply" or whatever, and that the motherboard would need to be replaced. apparently, the hard drive is still alright.

at one point, I couldn't even turn the computer OFF. the power light would stay on, with no activity on the monitor whatsoever. I would unplug it, plug it back in later, and the power was STILL on...

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

No disrespect to the guys you took your computer to... Do you trust them?

I might would try to reset the cmos settings in your computer's setup. It's free and it may reset some power management bleep. There should be a jumper or push butto switch located on the system board. You can also pull the battery and leave thing off for an hour. Worth a shot...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#8 alleyrulez

alleyrulez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:59 PM

left the power off all night, didn't make any difference.

I am a computer novice in every sense of the word. have no idea what "cmos settings" are, so I guess I don't have an option at that point - other than to get it fixed...

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

There are several ways to reset the CMOS. The easiest is to unplug the system from the wall, then open the case (being careful to ground yourself on the chassis once you're in it), and remove the battery from the motherboard for about 30 minutes. The battery is shiny, round, and about the size of a nickle. Then put the battery back in, plug the system back in and see what happens.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

I had this happen once. the only difference is I would leave it on. It would restart itself (dont know why) this really loud from the Computer (not speakers) make a tapping sound. What ended up happening was It would go into Standby and turn off hard disks. I disabled the turn off hard disk and its working fine.

#11 alleyrulez

alleyrulez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

just got the pc back from the shop, and everything seems to be working fine now.

they had to replace the motherboard and power supply...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users