Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Scanning For Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BillieGail

BillieGail

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

I am looking for a site that will scan my PC and tell me exactly what is wrong with my hardware. My video card is going out, I think and I'd like to know if that is the problem before buying another one. I can go to Gateway and get the exact card that I need, but I'd really like to know ahead of time.
Do any of you know of a place like that?
Thanks
BillieGail

I use Pc pit stop already, but that does not detect errors on hardware.
Please visit my stores
http://stores.ebay.com/Stuffed-kits-stop
http://www.stuffafriend.biz/members/billiegail/
www.nubodyspa.com/bodymagic
May this day find you forgiven and forgiving. God bless you
Bobby and Billie Turknett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

I've never really come across an all-in-one software diagnostic package that could diagnose any and all hardware errors. Closest I've seen has been the PC-Doctor bootable diag that HP leases for their warranty work, and even that's not exactly comprehensive.

There are a few individual tests you can run that will help you narrow things down, though. Hard drive and RAM have reliable tests you can run to verify they're working properly. HD Tune and the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test are good universal hard drive diagnostics. I prefer Memtest+ to check RAM integrity. Both the DFT and Memtest+ are available on the Ultimate Boot CD, I highly recommend burning a copy of that and tucking it away in your CD collection.

If you think it's a problem with your video card, try loading programs that will stress the card and see what happens. (What makes you think it's the card, BTW?) 3D game demos are handy for this.
Posted Image

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

Start > Run > type dxdiag and press the <Enter> key.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Why not give us a chance to help you diagnose you problem and help with suggetions. Please let us know what make and model you computer is, and what problem you are experiencing.

As for purchasing a video card from Gateway, you will pay a premium price from Gateway, I would suggest looking for a video card from either Newegg or Tiger Ditect.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users