Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod, Rndismp.sys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToddJ

ToddJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hi guys,

I've been having problems with BSOD, but really narrowed it down for the most part. My problem happens when I connect my Linksys Wireless G USB. I'm currently using my laptop to post this, and heres the info I have.

I ran a minidump check using windebugger and it says probably caused by RNDISMP.SYS. I dont have any BSOD's when I disconnect my Linksys. So we pretty much know what were facing, but don't know how to fix it.

About 5 months ago I had the same type of prob and thought it had something to do with Symantec. I tried to delete all of Symantec but there were still remnents, but I had no probs till now. Ok, let me add this. I recently got a Bellsouth Wireless router and had to install their software to connect. Problems then started.

ANy hoot, I'd really like to connect ti the internet using my PC because I have to upload files via ftp for work.

I know this might be little info, but its what I've come up with. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Todd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

when you got the wireless USB did you install the drivers before connecting the device for the first time. This is normally stated in the install instructions. Sometimes if it is not done in this order the drivers will not load with the correct ones for the Wireless device and take XP defaults. These notoriously don't work well with wireless USB devices. If you have the drivers CD then install the drivers and update the driver for the device.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

The file that you mention is for the miniports installed on your sytem. It's a Windows default driver - so it may be necessary to disable the miniports to get around the problem. The other fix would be a repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

There is no guarantee that this is the source of the problem. The debugger only points out where the error occurred - not the actual cause of the error.

I'd suspect that it was how the BellSouth router was accessing the miniport that is causing the problems (so an update/troubleshooting of the BellSouth software is called for).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ToddJ

ToddJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

To projectfocus, I installed the linksys so long ago that I couldnt remember the exact order, but thats a good qestion and it might take a uninstall and start over with that.

To usasma, this really did begin with the intstalation of the bellsouth router and the software. I do think that a troubleshoot with Bellsouth would be the way to go, but that was actually why we ended up with their router. Had a linksys wirless router that had to be constantly reset because it would loose connection. So, I have a feeling that they will just try to get me to buy a wirless from them, lol.

Both y'all are hitting on the problem correctly. I'm going to work at it and just use my laptop to access the internet for now. I'm gonna need to solve the prob on my pc though for work. I transfer huge animations to my clients.

One other thing to add. WZC would auto restart and I completely disabled it. For about 2 days that worked, but the problem came back again, and WZC wasnt even active. But again, every minidump shows the RNDISMP.SYS as the probable cause in conflict. Is that imparative? is there a way to remove it, and if needed reinstall. I did see it could be dl's off the internet.

Thanks for your times to help me!

Todd

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

The RNDISMP.SYS file seems to be a default Microsoft driver ( http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes...s/info_r/37.htm )

The file is located in this directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and also in the dllcache. As such, you can most easily check it's validity by running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW at the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ) because it is one of the protected system files. Attempts to remove it may not be successful just because it is a protected system file.

I must stress that the listing of this file in the minidump files does not mean that it is at fault - it means that the fault occurred in it, but the fault can (and usually is) caused by another program accessing it in the wrong way, thereby causing the error. If it is damaged, the SFC.EXE will replace it with a copy from the dllcache.

The easiest way to "get around it" is to disable the miniports in your Device Manager (they'll be listed under Network Adapters). Don't disable the primary adapter and you may be able to get along without them.

The most obvious solution here is a complete removal and reinstallation of the BellSouth software. Should that not work, then I'd try to completely remove the network adapter drivers and reinstall the latest version of them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ToddJ

ToddJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the reply usasma. I had to leave on a video shoot and will try what you said when I get home. It very much seems to be the Bellsouth software. After installing that it started happening. For some reason they always want to guide you through installing way more than you want. I do know that by unplugging my usb Linksys wireless I havent had a one bsod and my system seems to be stable. I've done so many google surches and there are so many different takes on simlar problems. You have the most logical

Thanks!

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users