Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Signal Through Walls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G v6.0 wireless router and it will not transmit through walls. I have a computer in a room next to this one so there is 1 wall and maybe 3ft of space separating the computer and router. On the computer, it shows 5 bars, but cannot connect. Im using a belkin usb wireless reciever. And i have tried it with WAP protection and none.

Its funny that I can connect to a neighbors unsecured network with 1 or 2 bars and nice speeds and they live about 5 houses away and across the street(pretty far)

I heard that this router had some problems from other places and they had a modded firmware that would strenghten the signal, but with my ISP, they would probably consider that a 'warrenty void' or something (I do have the latest certified firmware though.)

Is there anyway to fix this? And does the wireless channel (currently 2.437ghz) matter?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

Could be an interference issue, especially if you have another wireless 2.4GHz device near you like a cordless phone. Changing the channel ought to help that.
Posted Image

#3 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

We don't have anything like that close to the router, but there might have been a little interference from other wireless networks around... they all keep the same default wireless channel. I tried a different channel and it sorta worked, but its so slow (couple minutes to load google) but it was enough to transfer some file between the network... which is all I really needed but I would like a little more speed (it should go faster if its only a couple feet apart )
Thanks for the reply but any suggestions for speed?

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:45 AM

Really Wireless does not really work like that. It is a connection speed to the router, If the router is connected then you will get the speeds related to the wireless connection. It will only slow a little if you are on a very low signal strength. Have you tried to do a Broadband speed test. Also this could be a issue with the wireless card that is running slow. If it is running on the slower protocol. B not G.

If you look at the status of the network from the network properties you should see what the connection speed is to the router.
Posted Image

#5 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

This also isn't the newest usb wiresess reciever, would it make much of a difference if I got a newer one?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

A couple of things to check:
1) Are there pipes or wires in the wall that you're trying to go through? That may be causing the interference.
2) Is the antenna oriented properly for reception? It should not be pointing directly at or directly away from the computer that's trying to connect.
3) Have you checked the devices to ensure that they are functioning properly and that they have the proper drivers installed?
4) Have you checked to see if moving the PC or the router increases the reception?
5) Have you tried other channels on the router/PC to see if it's an interference problem?
6) Have you removed all security while troubleshooting this problem? Security settings can "muck up" any attempts to troubleshoot wireless issues - so it's recommended that you turn them off while troubleshooting.

FYI - my wife has a NetGear wireless router in her office. It transmits a good signal through several concrete walls.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users