Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Of My D Drive Free Space Is Usable For C Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sixpackdad

Sixpackdad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

I no longer have enough free space to defragment my C drive. I've removed about every program I think I can safely take away. I noticed that my D drive is 99% free. It is NTFS, healthy, 39.90 GB capacity, 39.87 GB free, NO fault tolerance and 0% overhead. Can I reallocate some of this space to my C drive to add memory? My C drive is FAT32, Healthy(System), 15.97 GB capacity, 2.2 GB free, 13% free, NO fault tolerance, 0 % overhead. I know the computer likes 15% free, should I defragment anyway? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

Defrag serves 2 purposes.
1) It reorders your files for more efficient use (and access)
2) It "refreshes" some of the stuff on your hard drive (by moving files) and lessens your chances of data loss due to the loss of magnetic charges over time.

Yes you can reallocate this space to your C drive - but it will take a special program to do it. Might I suggest an alternative? Move all of your saved stuff to the D drive and then point your My Documents folder to the D drive. That'll free up space on the C drive and will keep your stuff on another drive (in case the OS crashes).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:51 AM

As for space reallocation you can use partition manager software in order to add some free space to your C: drive. Among the products represented on the market I can highly recommend you Disk Director by Acronis. You'll be able to add some free space to your C: drive without data loss in few minutes using this software.

Edited by Kevin_D, 13 December 2006 - 08:19 AM.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:10 AM

Personally I would move the files over to a new folder on th D drive. Not really worrying about the My Documents redirection. If you know this is where to save then there is no worry.

If you have music on the system or videos or pictures move them all to new folders on the other drive. This will free up space. Then Defrag C:

I would also advise to convert the C: to NTFS as this is a much betting file system. This can be done without having to reformat or loosing any data.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users