Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pcie Card Will Not Fit Hp Mediacenter M1170n

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dawnblue

dawnblue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

I have an HP m1170n that has a PCIe slot. I have purchased an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro PCIexpress vidoe board. This is the card that ATI recommends on their site for my particular model of HP computer.

I am having a problem installing it, however. The card is physically too large for the board. When I try to put it into the slot, the tail end of the card collides with the connector where the power supply plugs into the motherboard and is about a 1/2 inch too long. Am I doing something wrong?

Here are the specs for the motherboard
Motherboard description
Motherboard: ASUS PTGD1-LA
HP/Compaq name: Puffer-UL8E

Expansion slots
One PCI Express x16 graphics PEG slot
Three PCI slots
One PCI expansion slot (select models only)
No AGP slot

Edited by dawnblue, 12 December 2006 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

i dont think your doing anything wrong. but most PCs made by dell/hp/compaq etc. use a mini-tower and a micro ATX mobo. the layout of the mobo could be interfereing with your installation. maybe try moving around the cables and tie them somewhere because your PC's mobo layout seems fine

#3 dawnblue

dawnblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

The cables are not what is in the way - it is where the power supply actually plugs into the mobo. I am plugging it into the correct slot as well. I have reviewed the specs provided by HP

Edited by dawnblue, 12 December 2006 - 10:46 PM.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, unfortunately for the way that board is laid out, if the graphics card isn't clearing the ATX connector and you can't situate it out of the way, you're pretty much stuck with having to get a shorter card. :thumbsup:

Here's an image of the shrunken board for the curious.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 dawnblue

dawnblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

I don't understand why ATI recommended this card to me at all. It's so weird - not only did their sales person tell me it's the one I need, it's also what you get when you use the automated service advisor on their site. It asked what model of computer I had - and that was the one it said I needed.

What other PCIe card would you recommend that is shorter? It's for my dh's Christmas present and he really wanted the Radeon. He needs a good gaming card. This one is great - and I need something comparable.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

The next closest thing from ATI looks to be the X1650XT. Similar features, a little bit lower on specs, but it looks as though it ought to fit your system.
Posted Image

#7 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

A 7900 GS would work, wouldn't it? The GS's are always the budget versions but the 7900GS destroys anything in money vs performance.
Plus a 7900 has better specs than the x1650. ew 128-bit.
Slightly cheaper, too.
Oh, I'm sorry.
I really should look this up first.
this card is an OC'd faster 7900GS for cheaper.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 13 December 2006 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users