Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problem With Avast.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

I have had Avast Home as my Antivirus for some time now without any problem other than an occasional update would not load which I then did manually. For security on my PC also I have Comodo Firewall,Spybot S&D,AdAware, AVG Antispyware, Spyware Blaster installed, all up to date and used regularly.

This evening however, while my daughter who also has an account on this PC but not an administrative one was on Google the PC crashed. When it restarted I saw there were Windows Updates downloaded but not installed. i thought this was strange as I use the Automatic Update feature and it is set to 0600hrs daily. I installed them and on restarting I got the message that Avast had failed to update. I then tried to update manually but without success. I then found that my Internet connection was gone I restarted again but found that some of my startup programs had not loaded. I restarted again but although all programs had loaded this time Avast was switched off and I could not start it. I then got the following message.

"VPS file was destroyed. The scan completed with Error: 42040=VPS File was destroyed".

I did not want to access the internet for advice without an anti virus so decided to uninstall Avast, restart PC and do a fresh install. This seemed to have worked until after updating and getting the message that Avast needed to restart my PC. On restart my PC booted up to the safe mode screen without being prompted by me. I then restarted again and although everything started ok this time I then got a news update from Avast and on exiting this I then got another message saying that Avast had to restart my system again. I declined that offer and as Avast seems to be working ok (7 provider(s) total, 6 running) I came here for some help or advice on whether all these restarts are normal behaviour.

I did a search on VPS File was destroyed, Error 42040 but found nothing.

On my Comodo Application Rules screen I have 3 listings for Avast.

--- Application-----Destination------Port-----Protocol----------Permission---Path---------Parent Path---Desc-

(1) avast.setup---Range 0-255 ---0-65535-TCP/UDP in/out----- Allow-----avast.setup--ashServ.exe--update
(2) avast.setup---------any------------any---TCP/UDP out--------Allow-----avast.setup--ashSimpl.exe-update
(3) setup.ovr-----------any------------any---TCP/UDP out--------Allow-----setup.ovr-----ashSimpl.exe-update

Hopefully someone understands and can explain what this all means. thanks in advance.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

VPS File was destroyed, Error 42040 but found nothing is related to a legit avast error code. See the avast FAQs here. There is a dicussion on "VPS File was destroyed" in this thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for that Quietman7.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users