Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Xp Wont Boot At All

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 payton

payton

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

hello

I have a problem with my computer.

Some times my windows just wont boot so i have to put in the windows disk ,and do a repair of the boot sector and restart. After that it logs on and all is fine.

Well yesterday it was doing that so instead of repairing. I went into safe mode so I could install the
nForce4 series - Windows 2000/XP Version: 6.86 Release Date: July 7, 2006 WHQL Certified driver.
on my asus A8n-sli premium mb. After installing this, I restarted my computer then it just keeps on restarting. over and over. It gets to the windows loading screen, then after it does that the screen goes black. then it reboots. So i enabled windows to not reboot when there is a system error. So it booted then instead of loading it went to the blue screen , and told me that the stop error was caused by vidstub.sys.

I read somewhere that the new nvidia driver conflicts with stardock bookscreen(which i have on my comp). causing it to mess the vidstub.sys. file up, or something like that.

so i then went to start up my safe mode to eliminate the stardock bootscreen program. The computer loaded up safe mode,but as soon as the desktop was almost loaded. a message then poped up that stated that it couldn't operate in safe mode and needs to restart. It then goes right back into the whole rebooting thing.

so i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

computer stats:

asus a8n-sli premium.
amd 3800+ X2.
2X 7900 GT (in SLI) evga Ko edition.
Western digital sata hard drive.

thanks
-Payton-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Have you tried to use the Last Know Good configuration as described below?

Source - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Troubleshooting
With the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you can recover from configuration problems such as newly installed drivers that may be incorrect for your computer's hardware. It does not correct problems that are caused by missing or corrupted drivers or files.
The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time that you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Therefore, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully before you restore your computer by using the last known good configuration.
After you start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, changes that were made since the last successful startup are lost.

JC

#3 payton

payton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

i forgot

while i was gone i did a disk error check thing while it was still working. when i got back it was in the stages of instaling windows. So i stoped that. then thats when it started the first time to reboot. So i went into safe mode and started to update drivers and such to see if i could fix the problem. the first and only one i installed was the one i stated in the 1st post.

then it stated the infinate reboot thing.

and the message in safe mode states that windows setup cannot be finished in safe mode. then you push ok and it restarts.

I have no clue why windows started to re install.

#4 payton

payton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

thanks for the reply Joshuacat

but unfortunately

the Last Know Good configuration thing does the same thing as the normal boot which is just re booting.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

The first step (IMO) would be to get rid of the Stardock boot thing. It'll be easier to troubleshoot a normal boot process than it will with the Stardock complicating it.

Then, please describe how you "do a repair of the boot sector"

Does your system need to pre-load SATA or RAID drivers? If so, have you done this?

Are you doing any overclocking or other tweaking that could interfere with the OS?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 payton

payton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

I cant get rid of the stardock thing. because i cant get into my safe mode. because of this

"while i was gone i did a disk error check thing while it was still working. when i got back it was in the stages of instaling windows. So i stoped that. then thats when it started the first time to reboot. So i went into safe mode and started to update drivers and such to see if i could fix the problem. the first and only one i installed was the one i stated in the 1st post.

then it stated the infinate reboot thing.

and the message in safe mode states that windows setup cannot be finished in safe mode. then you push ok and it restarts."

i'm stuck in a double whammy. i got windows wanting to setup when i get in safe mode, and my vid driver is being messed with by the boot screen stardock thing.

answering your other question

I inserted the windows xp disk. clicked r, then i'm in the recovery console, i then put in fixboot
it does that and i type exit. and that usually works. if that doesn't i do the other repair that the windows disk can do.

i haven't overclocked my components.

sorry but i don't know what you mean when you said

Does your system need to pre-load SATA or RAID drivers? If so, have you done this?

thx

-Payton-

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

Do you have a SATA drive or a RAID array? If so, and you didn't install the drivers you'll experience problems. The Windows installation asks for these drivers when you first start installing Windows (it's a prompt at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to install RAID/SCSI drivers). Some motherboards support this natively, others require the drivers disk.

On the "repair" thing - I'd suggest that you try a repair install of XP. Maybe that will allow you to get in. Here's a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 payton

payton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

sorry but i already tryed that too ,and that didnt work it still did the reboot thing.

ive been thinking about my problem, and i think im going to get a new hd.
then install windows on the new one. Then make my old primary hd a slave drive. then take off my needed files and put them on the new one. then hose off the old one and put it in an external hd case and use it as an external drive.

if i can't fix it ill do that.

to answer your question

i have a sata drive and i do have the drivers installed for it

Edited by payton, 13 December 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

The repair install will "fix" Windows without affecting your programs or data files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users