Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Recently Downloaded/uploaded Items?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

hello! i was wondering if there's a way to see a list of all the documents and files that have created, downloaded, and uploaded onto my pc. i had 44% of my computer space free yesterday and i have 43% free today. i know i sound weird about it but its just that i had been clearing off a substancial about of things to get to 44% and i dont know what i might have downloaded etc to move it down to 43%, especially in one day. i've also been deleting some music folders today but its still at 43% so i'm assuming that whatever i may have uploaded from my camera (which is where i suspect the bulk of the newly used space came from) was relatively big in size. would it be in the mru, even though i havent opened many of the files, and if so, how do i get there?

any help would be appreciated =)

p.s. i only have a 40gig computer, so i know that one percent of the space isn't really very big, but im surprised to take up one percent in what must have been a day, even after i've been deleting lots of old things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:42 AM

Just surfing the net will build up a lot of temp files on your hard drive. I use a program called CCleaner to clear all this junk off my hard drive and typically it will find 50Mb of temp files every day.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:17 AM

Hi ambellina

I can't answer your specific question, but have you tried SEQUOIA VIEW. It shows you graphically all the programmes on your harddrive, how much space they are taking up, and exactly where to find them. And it is quite fun to use.

Posted Image

Cheers

BTW. I guess you are aware that space is not freed up til the recycle bin is emptied.

Edited by rowal5555, 13 December 2006 - 04:44 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:49 AM

ccleaner is a very useful program if used on a monthly basis. If you use it evryday then it will just increase the time it takes to surf the sites you visit most. The Temp files are used to cache the images from webpages so will stop you from having to download them everyday.
Posted Image

#5 ambellina

ambellina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:25 AM

ack, i do use ccleaner, but it slipped my mind =) thanks, it helped!

#6 Nygel

Nygel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

I so very much appreciate the information and free downloads provided on this site.  Thanks Bleeping for providing this service!! (smile)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Tools to investigate what folders/files are taking up space on a hard drive

Some of the tools allow you drill down into specific subfolders in order to see exactly what is going on. Most are available for download as stand-alone applications which you can just unzip, use and delete when done if you do not want to keep them. I personally like the first four but generally use TreeSizeFree the most because it allows you to click and drill down very easily. Everything Search (and Agent Ransack) are more of an alternative to Windows built-in search feature but they too allow you to gather folder/file size information.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users