Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oblivion...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hey yo what up!

Just bought Oblivion, and walking around (getting attacked by everything), I seem to die alot. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough - ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me, or does everyone start out this way? How can I improve my killing skills? :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

Well, describe what 'everything' is.

If you're getting attacked by monsters, then that's normal. However, if you are constantly getting attacked by people, you may be doing something wrong. People don't like it that much if you try to talk to them with a weapon drawn, and make sure that when your picking up something, that the hand is that tannish color because if the hand (or any other icon that pops up in your crosshairs) is red, it means that you are either tresspassing or stealing something and are breaking the law and will have the guards all over you really fast.

*edit* also, the same thing goes for if you attack everything. Unless a quest is telling you to go after a specific person, you mainly don't want to attack somebody unless they're attacking you first.

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 December 2006 - 09:26 AM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

Oblivion is a very realistic game. Not many people in the real world would like it if you talked to them with a weapon out, nor would they like it if you stole their stuff. Also, be careful not to attack NPC's unless you have to. If you do, you'll have the entire town after you before you realize it.

3939.png

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

I'll be more specific - those bandits on the road. Normal people (like in the towns) are okay. I got killed by a dog yesterday (Wolf). I suck!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Up if you're really fed up with it. Press "~" and type in tgm (ToggleGodMode) and if you just want one really annoiyng enemy dead "~" click the enemy and type kill. :D

Those are cheats and such if you want to use.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

Thanks! Does God Mode affect your....stats(?) whatever that is that advances you..?
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Don't think so, jsut makes you invincable, and you never get fatigued.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Oh,

You don't have to use god mode, somewhere in the settings, there is a difficulty slider that will raise or lower the levels of everything else in the game which when lowered, can make things die in like two or three hits. Just be careful though, because the downside to that is that everything would get their level lowered making an accidental strike on a friend potentially fatal.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:15 AM

Very few characters can do fine in the wilderness in the beginning of the game unless you really know what your are doing. You don't have the equipment, skills and spells to do it.

You should Fast Travel to a city and join a guild. As a rouge join the Thieve's Guild (steal something and you'll get an invitation in your sleep). There you can train up your sneak and lock pick skills, buy lock picks (important for sneaky characters) and steal some money. You also get access to fencers. As a fighter join the Fighter's Guild, where you'll get your skills trained up and some decent equipment, plus a copule of easy quests to start you off. As a mage you'll want to join the Mage's Guild and work your way into the arcane university, where you'll be able to make your own spells.

Also, even though heading headlong into the mainquest isn't the best of ideas you might want to take it so far as to get the Amulet of Kings to Jauffry at Weynon Priory, there you'll get some stuff to get you started and also a guy there will give you a horse, which defiantly help getting through the wilderness.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

I wont try to spoil the story here, but a little after you start the main quest, you have to lead a guy called Martin back to an area. I wont spoil the why and the where, but being a special character, he'll only get knocked out when his health drops and wont die while he is following you around.

You can use him to your advantage and go through hard areas, even having him help you kill a really hard monster that is part of the main quest later in the game.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

Martin won't die, the story centers around him after all. But...most of the people that join you in the main quest can be killed. Those that can't just become unconscious instead of dying.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users