Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarknessConsumed

DarknessConsumed

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Ok when I first start my Windows I get power to my keyboard but once it gets to the log on screen my keyboard lose power on both PS2 and USB port any idea on how I can fix this ......or what could be the cause

Moderator Edit: Added topic descriptor and moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 December 2006 - 04:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Do you have (or can you borrow) a spare keyboard to make sure the keyboard isn't the problem?

#3 DarknessConsumed

DarknessConsumed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

bought a new one as well as went though the 3 I had at the house

#4 DarknessConsumed

DarknessConsumed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

no suggestion on what i can do as its a pretty new computer and although I just bouight a new one I would like to have a 2nd desktop ....I am willing to try whatever

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Go into your B.I.O.S. and set it to NUM LOCK ON on power up. The reason for doing this is to see if there is any power going to the keyboards when you boot up. Each B.I.O.S. is somewhat different, so you'll have to find it.

1. If you have power to your keyboard when you boot up, your NUM LOCK light will be lit up. If not, power isn't getting to your keyboard.

2. If the light is on, but no keyboard operation, then it's either the keyboard drivers, or you have a shortened out connection from your computer to the keyboard.

3. You may also want to try the different keyboards with the computer on and in Windows. You won't hurt a thing, and it's perfectly safe to do.

4. Also, check your Device Manager to see if there is an yellow exclamation mark next to it. If it is, delete it from the Device Manager and then reboot.

If all else fails, still refer to no#4, and delete it and reboot.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Shot in the dark here: does the mouse work?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 13 December 2006 - 05:14 PM.

#7 DarknessConsumed

DarknessConsumed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Yes mouse works fine but my mouse is USB so I hooked a PS2 mouse up and it also works perfect so i then took and unhooked my USB mouse and hooked a USB keyboard up in the same USB port and once again it lights up but as soon as it get to the password screen all power to the keyboard seem to be gone

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

The next sure thing is to plug up the USB keyboard into another computer and see what happens. Other than that, it sounds like there is a short in your keyboard cable somewhere.

Are all of your other keyboards USB?. and do they all react the same way when you plug them in?.

Try this........ Just plug in the keyboard AFTER you load it up with the PS2 keyboard. When you plug it in, see if it'll type, if not, wiggle the cable WHILE you're hitting some keys in NotePad or something.

#9 DarknessConsumed

DarknessConsumed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

hmm I cant get num lock to light up but my computer has an "F" button so I can change what the F keys do and that is lit up but I cant turn it off I cant long into safe mode or anything as I need to be able to type my password and I cant without a keyboard ...mouse works fine and I have attempted at least 6 keyboard both PS/2 and USB and still getting nothing yet they all work on my 2nd computer

Some more info I can get in the Bios when the computer first load as my keyboard will function but once i get to the password screen for Windows it will not function I hooked a PS/2 mouse up and reloaded and the mouse worked fine but if i unhooked the Keyboard and then plug it back in my mouse will no longer work either I dont know if this will help you guys help me fix my computer

Edited by DarknessConsumed, 05 January 2007 - 04:34 PM.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:30 AM

Sounds like you need to do a virus scan. Do more than one scan, from different vendors.

If you can't do it on your computer, you'll probably need to connect the hd as a "slave" to another computer and run the scan(s)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users