Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hi,

I donít have any sound coming from my speakers. They are plugged in and if I turn the volume on high I hear a tone but I canít play a CD or anything else through them.

I went to the Device Manager and ran all the tests and it said everything is okay but it is not.

I recently added a LCD Monitor to my computer and it has a speaker that I donít use. I donít know if this is causing the problem.

When I put a CD in my CD/DVD drive, click my computer, click audio CD the following happens:

The Windows Media Player appears, the sound tracks are listed but I am told:

ďCannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.Ē

I click details and receive the following message:
ďThere is no sound card
You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem.
Error ID = 0x80040256, Remedy ID = 0x00000000Ē.

The CD/DVD use to work fine. I donít know how to fix this problem. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Adkron

Computer Compaq Presario 6410NX
Operating System: Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

First, check the LCD monitor's manual and manufacturer's website for errors such as this and their resolution. (you may also want to do the same for your sound card. Won't hurt to make sure that all your drivers are up-to-date, either.)

If that doesn't solve anything, try this:

In the control panel, go to the "Sound and Audio Devices" panel. On the "Audio" tab, ensure that your sound card is selected for the default playback device. If it is, or there is only one device to choose from, click the "Advanced". Ensure that your speaker type is selected under "Speaker Setup".

You should also check to see if your LCD is listed under "Sound, Video, and Game Devices" in the Device Manager and if it is, try disabling it (make sure you don't disable your video card or monitor, though.)

Let us know if that works or not.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 December 2006 - 07:37 PM.

#3 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

I went to The Device Manager and under Sound, video and game controllers there were four things listed as, "unknown." I used the reinstall Wizard to reinstall the drivers and my sound is back.

Thanks for your help,

adkron

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

Glad to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users